Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Holy Crap...What have I got myself into?!

I really really really love the idea of something living and crashing into the earth, possibly burying itself deep within the earth. (pardon me, I just finished playing through Chrono Trigger for the millionth time, and I loved when Lavos crashed into the earth and left an enormous crater and etc. I could go on and on about this game.) The maps also look gorgeous, though, and I particularly like the water effect on the second to last one. Not sure which I would call my favorite though, since they're all good.

@sim97 Hey Thanks! I'm pretty much a noob myself as far as digital mapping goes so if you want to commiserate with somone I'm all ears (or eyes since I'll be reading). I really appreciate the fact that you read through the site...Even though it was originally intended for the players, it has developed a little audience, and now I find myself trying to build the site for other people who want to read it. It keeps me motivated.

@Paramenies...the more I think about it the more intrigued I am about the possibilities...It could really fit well into the story...and to the explanation of the overall devastation this poor planet has been through. I have visions of this thing tearing away chunks of the earth and hurling them into space...maybe it still lives on the shattered face of the planet continuing to wreak havoc. Or maybe it slumbers somewhere deep in the earth...waiting to be summoned again....I'm not familiar with Chrono Trigger..but I will check it out.
    Last edited by dlaporte7271; 05-08-2012 at 03:02 PM.

@sim97...By the way...since you took the time to take a look at the site...do you have any feedback? Did you find any difficulty navigating...notice any broken links or anything like that. Any opinion about the general layout...the look...color scheme...selection of images...etc. I love feedback and, again...I'm really grateful that you took the time to look it over. Feel free to drop by again...

dlaporte (aka Dave)
    http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/violent-skies

Guild Apprentice

When I have a chance to dissect your page I will. I love critiquing and I have a link for a Tolkien style map tutorial if your interested. The map I'm making from that tutorial is far superior to my first map. But I'll get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by sim97fan3 View Post
    When I have a chance to dissect your page I will. I love critiquing and I have a link for a Tolkien style map tutorial if your interested. The map I'm making from that tutorial is far superior to my first map. But I'll get back to you.
    Hey, I really appreciate that. It's still a WIP...but then...I expect it always will be. No pressure or any expectations on my part...if you decide to check it out...great...if not...no biggie. I'd love to return the favor...though if it's map related I might not have much to offer, other than from an artistic or aesthetic perspective.

Guild Apprentice

So I was going through everything on your site and noticed that Sterran is Esmerelda's grandfather, but is also married to Ursay which is her mother. So is Sterran really her father? Trying to click on all three bad guys or Vrack Tiburcaex leads you to this page http://www.obsidianportal.com/campai...hugon-darkwing or a similar one. You have a typo on this page http://www.obsidianportal.com/campai...the-dragonborn, "singleminded determination". Another typo, http://www.obsidianportal.com/campai...m-then-til-now; I believe dragnon should be dragonborn. That's all I noticed. This is the link to the Antique/Tolkien type map thread, http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...le-Map-in-GIMP. Did you draw the pictures that accompany the literature?
    Last edited by sim97fan3; 05-08-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Thanks! I will fix the typos...and yes...Sterran is actually her father...there is a backstory to explain it...though Im not sure if I have spcified it in any of the pages....it has been revealed to Esmerelda through gameplay. I will ad something to clarify..As far as the bad guys go...the OP allows for designating some pages as 'gm only' so you can hide info that hasnt been revealed in gameplay yet. The bad guys are only known by name at this point. There is info about Vrack that is also kapt secret from the playera so you wouldnt have been able to see hi either. I will double check their links though. Thanks again...I will be looking at your tutorial.

BTW...all artwork borrowed from online. Wish I could still draw...but...not my own artwork.

Moving along with tutorials....I will post this question in the tutorial itself, but I'm running into some difficulty with GIMP and using copy/paste with the free select tool. I'm not sure if I'm crazy, but this is normally a simple process in other software...can't figure out why it's not working for me now... I'm using Arsheesh's Eriond tutorial and I'm at the stage where I copy some 'clouds' from one layer and paste them onto another to make mountains...problem is I can't get them to paste onto anything. Is there something different about copy/paste and other editing features in GIMP that I'm missing? Help...very frustrated with this...grrrr...

Two things.. a) you can use duplicate layer. Second is GIMP's "paste" is kind of odd... you have to select the layer dialog tab. and CTRL+V and it will "paste" as a floating selection(might want to find some generic GIMP tutorials on layers). Typically, you would then right click the floating selection and select anchor layer or "new layer" or somethign like that.. don't have it installed on this box as of yet...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast