Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Holy Crap...What have I got myself into?!

yeah...I did keep getting the anchor thing that I didn't understand...no idea what it's for though I think I may have figured it out...or at least something that appears to work....I make the selection, right click, edit, copy...I notice the selection appears on the little clipboard as a brush. I clear the selection and then choose the brush tool and I can place it that way.

Don't know if you saw it or not, but I edited my last post at the Tutorial page to explain how to "anchor" a floating selection to the layer. Hope it helps.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

yes...thanks Arsheesh...I will try it that way also...

dlaporte

While the "Floating Selection" is a bit odd at first, it is actually a nice feature, because it allows you to manipulate the floating selection as much as you like before anchoring it to the layer you pasted it too. So, a step by step walk through the process of copying and pasting selections from one layer to another layer in GIMP would be as follows:

1. Make the layer you want to copy from the active layer (click on that layer);
    2. Use your Free Select tool to create a selection of the desired area;
    3. Right click on the image and go to: Edit > Copy;
    4. Make the layer you want to paste to the active layer;
    5. Right click on the image and go to: Edit > Paste (this will create a "Floating Selection: Pasted Layer" above that layer);
    6. Manipulate the pasted layer if you so desire (e.g. rotate it, resize it etc);
    7. In the Layers Dialogue, click on "Anchor Floating Selection".

That should do it.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

THanks....that's perfect!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

yup, thanks arsheesh

I get mixed up with that too
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Here's a question...as I continue to toil through the tutorials...I came across someone using raw satellite images to create maps...is this possible/easy to do using GIMP? I've been thinking a bit about how to make undersea ridges and it occurred to me that I might be able to grab some satellite photos pasted or blended together to create the effect. Especially since I'm creating tectonic plates and I'll need to be more precise about placing related geography. Thoughts?

Ahh...still more options...how can you keep up with it all...so now I've discovered donjon's fractal world generator...I really like the randomness of the coastlines...looks way better than anything I'm able to come up with by hand. I think I'm going to try a random world map and then trace it into GIMP as my base map. Feasible? Any tips on using this resource? Anybody else have experience with it?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

that's usually what i do. I just use planetgen instead of that one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

any appreciable difference between the two that makes you choose planetgen?

...oooh...just took a look at it...I'll have to download that one at home...it looks like it generates a more 'realistic' image. Thanks for the tip.
    Last edited by dlaporte7271; 05-24-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast