Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Holy Crap...What have I got myself into?!

here are the 'test bumps'
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	testbumps.PNG 
Views:	280 
Size:	3.23 MB 
ID:	45242
    At this point I'm not sure what they are supposed to look like...thoughts?

BTW...I know you're a busy guy...aren't you writing a dissertation or something? I really appreciate your time. Heck...I've got a four year old and a fifteen year old to keep track of, nevermind keeping a healthy marriage...plus the full time jobby job...don't know how I manage to find time to get all this extracurricular stuff in.

Dave

Hm, yeah the contrast in those mountains turned out a bit to stark: they look washed out. You should have seen more subtle texture and contrast variation. I've attached an image below for reference. Now, bear in mind that this is an image of what the entire height map looks like bump mapped after I did all the sculpting of the height map. Still, you can see all the subtle differences in the mt texture that just aren't there in the image you uploaded. However, this might be due to the scaling method you were working with. Once you rescale them they might look better. Oh, and this does give me a nice little break from academia, so think nothing of it.

Name:	Eriond Bum Map.jpg 
Views:	1489 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	45243

Here's another bump map test...any feedback?

Name:	test bump2.PNG 
Views:	119 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	45319

and the original for comparison

Name:	testbumps.PNG 
Views:	80 
Size:	3.23 MB 
ID:	45320

The new bump map reflects 'linked' scaling and I think that definitely looks different...does it look correct to your eyes?

Here is a look at the two Mountain cloud layers overlapped with my cloud selections. I think they look less blurry.

Name:	clouds2.PNG 
Views:	127 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	45322

I think it does look better, and yes, the cloud layers do look allot less blurry.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Great...I'll move forward with this...let's see what I can pull off....thanks for the help...I'll keep updating here as I progress along. Keep your fingers crossed!

Dave

Ok...more questions...attempting to airbrush...just want to be sure about your instructions. It says to airbrush the Land Clouds layer. Is that correct? I'm applying color to the layer below the mountains layer? I'm not painting onto the mountain layer itself?

Dave

Yes, that is correct. The reason for air-brushing the land clouds layer, rather than the mountains layer, is that air-brushing the former will generally help preserve the terrain texture, whereas air-brushing the latter will generally tend to just blanket everything in a pillow of white. On the other hand, if there are dark craters in your mountain clouds, you will want to follow the instructions in the tutorial for getting rid of these, and that will mean directly air-brushing the mountains layer.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Ahh...Life get's in the way of mapping...updates coming soon!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678