Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: My Dungeon Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

That is so cool... I wish I had the time to learn japanese or mandarin characters and the language ... I'm far to old and senile to start something of that magnitude...

And I think I might have started the derailment... you just went ahead and pushed it off the tracks

I say YES ... do another map maps maps maps.. I love maps!!!

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    That is so cool... I wish I had the time to learn japanese or mandarin characters and the language ... I'm far to old and senile to start something of that magnitude...
    Well, I've always wanted to learn Japanese and I figured if I didn't try it now I would never learn it. I'm learning on my own time so it is slow going but I have made a start of it. So far I know enough to get myself into trouble.

And I think I might have started the derailment... you just went ahead and pushed it off the tracks
    LOL! That's a good description of what happened. Not that I mind.

I say YES ... do another map maps maps maps.. I love maps!!!
    Well this isn't a dungeon per se, but it does lead to one of my dungeon maps in my AD&D game. I needed a set of ruins for my game so I came up with this... the plans for an ancient ruins located on the Northern border of the Dreadwood Forest.

This is the Player's Map:

The structure of the buildings range from solid to falling apart. Doors are noted on buildings. Windows are up to DM discretion. The ground inside the ruins' area is overlaid with stone cobbles. In some places, the stonework has been reclaimed by the forest. The ground stonework is uneven and may be dangerous in patches 9chances of falling/stumbling).

Here's the DM's Map:

The Northeast corner is inhabited by Huge Spiders and is full of webs. The Humanoid bandits (in pay from foreign powers to the South) have control of the Southeast corner. In the Southwest corner is a Harpy lair and a group of Wererats have taken up residence in the centre of the ruins. These wererats have allegiances to the Plague of the Blackhand (a cult of Incabulos) and are actively working against the Bandits. Some of the houses hold clues to the ruins' past (including its ancient name of Tharenthjia).

Unknown to the Bandits, they now occupy the area that once belonged to the Cult of Incabulos. The Cult wishes to reclaim the area at any cost. Why they were forced to leave the area in the first place hasn't been decided yet.

The players are sort of screwed either way. Should they rout the bandits then the Cult will grow in strength and vice versa. Course this is all background info while we do a few dungeon crawls. The circular house (#39) leads to the dungeon back in post #6 of this thread.

The black & white maps can be found here:
    http://paratime.ca/images/fantasy/ruins001bw_PCMap.jpg
    http://paratime.ca/images/fantasy/ruins001bw_DMMap.jpg
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

If you had versions of these maps without the grids on them, they would be perfect for a VTT. Do you have such a version?
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    If you had versions of these maps without the grids on them, they would be perfect for a VTT. Do you have such a version?
    I do my work in photoshop and all the major features of the image are on their own layers and that includes the map grid. I could easily turn it off and then save the altered file as a new image.

Pardon my ignorance but what is a VTT?
    Cheers,
    Tim

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Oh sweet!! Since you have it in PS already that is even better! If you could set the resolution so that 50 or 100 pixels equaled 5' we would be smoking!

VTT = Virtual TableTop. Also sometimes referred to as VGT (Virtual Gaming Table). It is an application that simulates the table battlemaps that we are all familiar with and includes chat, dice rolling, initiative tracking, etc. If you do a search on the forums for VTT, MapTool, Battlegrounds, VGT, etc. you'll find more descriptions and such.

I personally use MapTool, and there are several folks here that do as well, but there are others such as Battlegrounds and ORPG that some of our members use. If you follow the link in my sig below you'll see what MapTool is all about.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Thanks for the link. Let me look into this and I'll have to get back to you. I need to do some reading to learn more about this (hopefully I will have time this weekend to explore VVT a bit further). Cool.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Definitely! I would recommend that you join the MapTools forums as well. There are a lot of great people over there, many of them are now members here as well.

Here is a link to all the VTT goodness you could hope for:
    http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/links.html#anchor6

Note that there is a lot of stuff on that page not just VTT stuff.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Great map ... and I second RP in that it would make an excellent vtt map... he however did it with much more enthusiasm and fervor ... VTT was never really an option before I got high(er)speed interenet... dialup and vtt (or any type of realtime anything) usually cause more frustration and aggravation than enjoyment... But I've since thought it might be a viable way to pass my time ...

RedRobes software ViewingDale which I bought recently for my own world mapping is also a VTT... I haven't checked out any other VTT's but will be scooting over to RP's suggestion soon to check it out... I personally would rather play than run anything at this point .. ya know .. to feel out the vtt experience... if you plan on running something in vtt let me know ... love GH I've a Suel Cleric named FIST of KORD that you would just love to meet

Love the setup you have for the ruins... Incabulos is one of my favorite cult-ish gods... pestilence and disease always strike fear into PC's ... especially at the lower levels...

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

It makes a lovely VTT map. Here's a screenshot after importing it into maptool with some basic tokens. The one on the right is what the players see (note the camouflaged spiders!), the one on the left is the GM view. I've also attached the campaign file if anyone wants to play with it (using the dev build 1.3b28 ). Before loading it up, rename it to spiders.cmpgn. Then it will load just fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spiders!.png 
Views:	387 
Size:	792.7 KB 
ID:	3408 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spiders!Player.png 
Views:	363 
Size:	209.7 KB 
ID:	3409

spiders.zip
    Last edited by RPMiller; 05-02-2008 at 11:25 AM. Reason: fixed the right and left. :)

Thanks torstan! I still want to see the non square grid version since I use hexes, but the campaign file will definitely save some time.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast