Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: My Dungeon Maps

Post My Dungeon Maps

Greetings all,

I've been having loads of fun lately creating many old school inspired dungeon maps and I thought I would share my latest creation (click for larger version).

Room 5 has a deep pit. Room 7 has a revolving door. Room 19 has a small pool/fountain.

I should mention that at this point in time, my maps are low resolution and my style tends towards an old school look with a little extra touches to the maps (but nothing too crazy because I try to keep things printer friendly). I have many other maps on my mapping site:

http://paratime.ca/cartography/
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

It's nice to see another 'old school' mapper. I like the look of them, even though the newer styles are nice, the old school charm has for an old fogie like me a certain charm.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thanks NeonKnight. I prefer the old school look (with some embellishments here & there for variety). I want something to spark my imagination and I want something that is relatively printer friendly. The newer RPG maps tend to be over-rendered for my tastes (they don't spark my imagination). Each to their own.

With that said, I'm sure I will be experimenting with various textures and appearances (because it is fun and one doesn't know what works until one tries it).
    Cheers,
    Tim

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Very Pretty map.

What did you make it in? What did you do to get the pleasing ripple in the walls?

Sigurd

Thanks Sigurd. I created the map witrh an older version of Photoshop (6.0 or 7.0 - I can't remember which). As for the ripple effect, it is just that. It is a Filter called Ripple (Filter --> Distort --> Ripple). There are three choices for the type of ripples: small, medium and large. There is also a sliding scale that determines how strong these ripples are rendered. I often use medium ripples with a value between 60 to 100%. It depends on what look I'm going for. For caverns I might use large ripples with a value of over 100% (or below -100%).
    Cheers,
    Tim

Here's the map that I used in last weekend's rpg game...

Cheers,
    Tim

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Tim, love the map, love the style and love the feel. Did you use a scanned graph paper or just create a grid.. i like the .. how do you put it... gritty, fuzzy, etched feel of the grid...

I love the site as well... the whole thing.. tho I found it hard to get back to the cartography section from the paratime home site... in fact... i had to use the link here to get to it .... dunno if that was intentional... I say you should add it to the portfolio of graphics unless I missed it.
    A lover of GH too (3 thumbs up) I absolutely love all of the additional gh files you've done.. tho it reads it on there I thought I'd ask if I could use the calendar and other GH related material for my own personal use/games.. ?
    and a final note.. loved the town maps, handdrawn is what I kin too and you've done it well my friend

Del

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    Tim, love the map, love the style and love the feel. Did you use a scanned graph paper or just create a grid.. i like the .. how do you put it... gritty, fuzzy, etched feel of the grid...
    In these maps, I am using a map grid (a good old fashion piece of graph paper) that I scanned. I have also created my own map grid pattern that I use from time to time.

I love the site as well... the whole thing.. tho I found it hard to get back to the cartography section from the paratime home site... in fact... i had to use the link here to get to it .... dunno if that was intentional... I say you should add it to the portfolio of graphics unless I missed it.
    You didn't miss it. I just haven't put it on my main site yet. I'm still revamping my portfolio because I have many more sites to add and more examples of my graphic design work (including the cartography). I just been busy working on other peoples' sites that I haven't had time to finish my own update. The last couple of weeks have been very hectic for me so I haven't had much time to work on my maps.

A lover of GH too (3 thumbs up) I absolutely love all of the additional gh files you've done.. tho it reads it on there I thought I'd ask if I could use the calendar and other GH related material for my own personal use/games.. ?
    Feel free to use any of my gaming files for personal use. Actually, I have the Greyhawk Calendar set up on its own page here:

http://paratime.ca/d20/d_and_d/campa...-calendar.html

and a final note.. loved the town maps, handdrawn is what I kin too and you've done it well my friend

Del
    Thanks for all the great comments Del. BTW, I love your avatar. If my reading is correct (I'm still new to kanji), doesn't your avatar say 'shukugou' aka 'karma' (a literal transliteration of the kanji is 'lodging karma')? That's the Japanese reading of the kanji. The Chinese reading may (actually will) produce something a bit different.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Great link ... that calander page works great for me always loved the gh calander

as for the avatar... well... I don't pretend to be smart in any language... you are correct in the japanese translation of shukugou and i'm sure your translation is correct .. but it is the mandarin chinese reading that was my intent ... sų yč >> This is the Buddhist concept of Past Karma. To put it simply, it's the sum of all the good and bad from all previous lives (and perhaps earlier in your current life). This term is not commonly used outside of the Buddhist faith (you'll have a tough time finding a non-Buddhist Asian person that knows this word)

Other ways to translate this: "The karma of previous existence", "The karma remaining from prior existences", or simply "Former karma"

But other than a few other symbols... that's about my limit on asian languages...

Great link ... that calander page works great for me always loved the gh calander
    Thanks Del. I have to admit I was happy with the way that calendar turned out. I use it in my games to help my players to get into the right mindset. It is one thing to say, "It is Waterday, the 5th of Flocktime." But it is another thing for my players to see the calendar. That way they get the impression that it is a "real" date. I use the calendar to track time in my campaigns and characters' b-days should the need arise.

as for the avatar... well... I don't pretend to be smart in any language... you are correct in the japanese translation of shukugou and i'm sure your translation is correct .. but it is the mandarin chinese reading that was my intent ... sų yč >>
    I am currently studying Japanese so now when I see kanji I end up reading it as Japanese. I'm weird, I'm enjoying my kanji studies. For me, kanji is like an artistic puzzle... actually a hard artistic puzzle in some cases but I'm slowly expanding my vocabulary and written knowledge. LOL! Only about 1900 kanji to go before I can be considered to be literate.

I have noticed that some of the Japanese readings of the kanji have stayed the same as the original Chinese readings but obviously the pronunciation of the character has changed drastically.

This is the Buddhist concept of Past Karma. To put it simply, it's the sum of all the good and bad from all previous lives (and perhaps earlier in your current life). This term is not commonly used outside of the Buddhist faith (you'll have a tough time finding a non-Buddhist Asian person that knows this word)

Other ways to translate this: "The karma of previous existence", "The karma remaining from prior existences", or simply "Former karma"

But other than a few other symbols... that's about my limit on asian languages...
    Cool. You learn something new everyday. There's a Japanese Buddhist temple near where I live in Toronto (I know it is Japanese because it used Japanese writing called Katakana to spell Toronto on its sign). I've been by it many times but haven't checked it out... one of these days I might just do that.

I better make another dungeon map soon so I can bring this thread back on topic (after I derailed it so well). *grin*
    Cheers,
    Tim

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast