Thread: From a 2d map to a 3d map.

Guild Novice

Question From a 2d map to a 3d map.

I was planning on take my 2d map terrain map and making it into a 3d map but I was wonder what approach do you all think is the best for that? I had thought to myself that the best approact to this would be to make a Heightmap ( bump map) out of the alpha map of the 2d map but the problem with that is I have no way of creating the Heightmap all the subdivisions of my terrain map without taking hours to days.Hoping there was a better way then going at it from scratch with just black to white and using layers without losing control of small detail. Also if I do begin to gray scale it then I will lost the coastal line.

The second idea would be to just make the 3d map by eye. However, if I do this when I want use the map and show peoples
    position on this map it will become hard to since they will not be exactly the same.

if you're using photoshop, you could make a layer of the coastline, duplicate that to work from, while retaining the original for any additional processing needed to reintegrate your land and water as a unified height field map.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ew-Found-Lands was my entry in the last lite challenege and it shows one way to make a visually interesting bump map from some arbitrary shapes.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ew-Found-Lands was my entry in the last lite challenege and it shows one way to make a visually interesting bump map from some arbitrary shapes.
    I read the pdf explaining how you made the map but my problem is that in the end you randomized. I want to be able to speifically places the details where I want it.