Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Discussion] Groam

Post [Discussion] Groam

Here's what we know about Groam so far:

* The first inhabitants were cave ancient cave dwellers whose macabre rock art can still be found in the many caves throughout the region.

* Groam was originally called "Grohamz" by the cave dwellers. Translated into their native tongue, it means "Weeping Land."

* These cave dwellers may still exist, isolated from those who swarmed over the land.

* Rich veins of tin and silver were discovered in the uplands, causing a swarm of prospectors to come in from the north in search for riches.

* Mining camps soon grew into cities, and cities into a lawless kingdom.

* Silvervein was established as Groam's capital and hosted a loose government comprised of mining magnates and crime lords called the Council.

* In an effort to promote lawfulness, the Council established the Silver Watch

* The western cities of Arkender and Zantarma flourished with a logging and food supply industry.

* The plague came sixty years after silver was discovered in Groam.

* The Grey Watch was formed from the ranks of the Silver Watch and were given the city of Kamzal as a base of operations. The Grey Watch was relentless in driving back any refugees from the plague.

* Kamzal was renamed Grey Fortress.

* A series of walls were constructed to slow the influx of the infected from the east.

* Many settlements in the east, including Grey Fortress have fallen silent over the years, and their current status is unknown.

--------------

Is that about right?

So on that note, I've got some more questions.

What's happening in Groam now? Is the Council still active? Is the Silver Watch still patrolling the unaffected areas while the Grey Watch is apparently still fighting off plague-ridden refugees?

Is a man from Groam a Groamen man, or Groamish? Something else?

Are the cave dwellers known to the Groamen (or Groamish) people, or have they managed to stay hidden all these years? Am I the only one seeing grimlocks here?

I'm sure there is more, but this will do for starters. As you can tell from the title, I'd like to keep this thread solidly about Groam or areas that Groam will affect. My goal is to do a thread like this for each area unless anyone has any objections.

* The Pathmages' Guild employs magic-users who specialize in travel, survival, and communication magics. They are often employed by the Council as mapmakers, surveyors, and demographers.

* There is a race of hillpeople who are short of stature that inhabit the Uzuid Mountains. They may be the remnants of the cave-dwelling aborigines, or they might be related to the Stoutlings who live along the Coriander Coast to the southeast.
    Last edited by Midgardsormr; 04-20-2008 at 11:18 PM.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Torq, what are your plans for the Grey Watch, if any?

Your description says that they are long forgotten and the subject of late-night and tavern talk. I can't help but think that they still exist in some fashion; I keep envisioning them as something similar to the ringwraiths in LOTR: A fearsome enigma thought to live only in the nightmares of children.

Of course this is far cry from what the Grey Watch was originally intended for, but not unheard of considering the atrocities they'd likely have committed in keeping the borders safe.

If you've got other ideas, let me know. Otherwise I'd like to see if I can't take this a bit further if you don't mind.

I'd prefer to avoid obvious undead in my area, but I have been thinking about the possibility of some dark force that might have somehow dominated the wills of many of the former inhabitants of the plagued lands.

If the grey watch are still living humans, there is the possibility that adventurers who try to enter or move around the area can do so by guile in addition to the usual methods of stealth and arms.

I'm sort of waiting on Kagehito to give me some indication of his intentions with the areas further east, since the epicenter of the plague is probably in either his or Del's areas. Their maps will give us a better idea of what's going on with the Grey Watch.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    I'd prefer to avoid obvious undead in my area, but I have been thinking about the possibility of some dark force that might have somehow dominated the wills of many of the former inhabitants of the plagued lands.

If the grey watch are still living humans, there is the possibility that adventurers who try to enter or move around the area can do so by guile in addition to the usual methods of stealth and arms.

I'm sort of waiting on Kagehito to give me some indication of his intentions with the areas further east, since the epicenter of the plague is probably in either his or Del's areas. Their maps will give us a better idea of what's going on with the Grey Watch.
    Or they could be bound Groam proper, constantly patrolling the border between Groam and East Groam, but never allowed to cross.

That is, of course, assuming there is a definite border between the two. I've always seen them as two separate regions, but that may be just me.

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    Torq, what are your plans for the Grey Watch, if any?

Your description says that they are long forgotten and the subject of late-night and tavern talk. I can't help but think that they still exist in some fashion; I keep envisioning them as something similar to the ringwraiths in LOTR: A fearsome enigma thought to live only in the nightmares of children.

Of course this is far cry from what the Grey Watch was originally intended for, but not unheard of considering the atrocities they'd likely have committed in keeping the borders safe.

If you've got other ideas, let me know. Otherwise I'd like to see if I can't take this a bit further if you don't mind.
    My views on the Grey watch are kind of set out in the Second part of my "brief history" of Groam, in the Map thread for the area. I dont have any ideas set in stone though. They have an ambiguity in my own mind. I'm not sure whether they are hardline soldiers dedicated to saving Groam from what they peceive to be a deadly menace, or scheming opportunists who would make a pact with any diabolical power. Quite happy to let the creative impulse of others decide that question.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    My views on the Grey watch are kind of set out in the Second part of my "brief history" of Groam, in the Map thread for the area. I dont have any ideas set in stone though. They have an ambiguity in my own mind. I'm not sure whether they are hardline soldiers dedicated to saving Groam from what they peceive to be a deadly menace, or scheming opportunists who would make a pact with any diabolical power. Quite happy to let the creative impulse of others decide that question.

Torq
    To be honest, I was thinking a bit of both. Maybe something like the soldier who continues to fight the war because nobody told him it was over.

As I continue this work on Groam, it becomes more necessary to discern whether Groam and East Groam are two separate entities (much like Virginia and West Virginia here in the US), or one region under one government.

I dont want Mid to feel he is being dictated to because of what I'm doing so I'm happy for them to be connected in terms of their peoples but different in terms of government (if any) so that Mid has enough freedom to bring some of his own ideas to bear.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    I dont want Mid to feel he is being dictated to because of what I'm doing so I'm happy for them to be connected in terms of their peoples but different in terms of government (if any) so that Mid has enough freedom to bring some of his own ideas to bear.

Torq
    That's what I wanted to hear. I'll assume, then, that the purpose of the Grey Watch was to push the plague infested back to the eastern border of the Uplands, and that they didn't much concern themselves with what went on on the other side, other than the occasional scouting expedition.

I should think it'd be a fairly harrowing experience indeed for a lone soldier to go off scouting the plague-infested regions by himself. No telling what dark things he might meet and bring back to the others...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast