Thread: Transit Map of Basingstoke

Guild Member Facebook Connected Sinnyo's Avatar

Map Transit Map of Basingstoke

Hands up once again in apology - I am *awful* at keeping up with this wonderful community, but also my own cartography - which I cower behind as a lousy excuse. But I hope all of you are keeping well.

I finally managed to get my teeth into another project, which is what has selfishly brought me back. I still hope to go back to sci-fi and raypunk mapping some day soon, but I recently decided to tackle transit maps. Keeping things quite real, I decided to redraw my hometown's bus route map, as their own offerings have come to annoy me as much as their timetables. Not that I can claim my own effort as being good, but at least I can glean my own information from it. Still, I'd be a fool if I didn't take the opportunity to learn a little about the medium while I'm at it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_m39lchJoCg1qzvkpxo1_500.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	44401
    A larger version is available to view at my DeviantART gallery.

It's been a while since I had to juggle map elements based on real, fixed geography (though because of the way the roads and routes are laid out, some changes had to be accommodated, meaning my map is not strictly accurate), and longer still since my colour scheme had been set in advance. Stagecoach's key services all have distinct colours, meaning I was basically limited to pastel yellow or green for the background, and I can't say either one agrees with my personal tastes. Still, I hope the map is legible enough, and is not unpleasant to the eye. It was all just quite a new experience to draw.
    "Leave nothing but journey histories, take nothing but pictures; speak softly and carry a big lightsaber."
    raygungoth.net | @RaygunGoth (known by that handle most places but here!)

I think the local council should hire you

Very nice. Love the crisp detail, but also the '1960s' palette.

Thank you! I wasn't aware of the 1960s palette - I just went for colours which seemed not to clash - but I think you're right. Seems fitting, I suppose, given that Basingstoke is a London Overspill town and so was radically transformed around that time.
    "Leave nothing but journey histories, take nothing but pictures; speak softly and carry a big lightsaber."

Indeed

Makes me think of maps like this;
    Zurich 1960s Map
    Manhattan 1960s Map

Crumbs, right down to the style of labelling and my font family - impressive! Well-spotted, and thank you. I didn't really have any influence in mind, but it's fascinating to see where previous maps have obviously had their way with me. Sadly your link to the Zurich map has gotten lost somewhere, though.

Nicely done Sinnyo. Good to see around again. Hope to see more of your work in the near future.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnyo View Post
    Sadly your link to the Zurich map has gotten lost somewhere, though.
    Sorry, the link is here. Zurich Map.

I do like yours much more though!