Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 07][Location 01] Fentor Cross Area

Blog Entries

Ravs that would be GREAT !

I have drawn and painted a Wyvern Tower top down so its all ready !

Here are a few at 72 dpi, tell me which one suits and I'll scan it at a higher resolution for you. The Dover bookshop rocks, I suggest you take a look at them online. Amazing stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wyvern045.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	3300  

Blog Entries

Wow that looks like a great beastiary. The one bottom middle is what I had in mind but I cant make out what is going on in his jaw. The top middle one looks the best of the page for a simple no nonsense two legged mini dragon type thing. Its perfect - Number 3

I'll paint a side on and top down Wyvern based on the pic (basically traced and sketched).

Took a look at the Dover Bookshop. How do you know whether its free to use art ? I can see a lot of books with price tags etc. How does it work ? I searched for Wyvern but it came up with just one book though theres more for dragons. It does seem like a very big archive tho

Edit -- So I think I get it. ALL the books are copyright free, you just pay to access them and then I guess you can do what you want with them. Y'know I think I could spend a fortune in this place. Its the sort of thing I have been looking for. I don't mind paying a little but its the restrictions on use that usually kill it. So if somebody has taken the time to draw something I don't mind handing over some cash if I can take it and rework it a bit to make some new icons out of them. All the icon downloads on my site are free. I don't mind forwarding on the reference to the source. I think that this way of working has a lot to offer and might be more lucrative to the author than ordinary books. But then, I am usually in the minority with almost everything I do...
    Last edited by Redrobes; 04-25-2008 at 08:37 PM.

OH sorry, the book is called Heraldic Crests by James Fairbairn (really worth getting). The shop's in London, if you don't live there, best just giving them a call and they should send it to you. All their art is free to use. Here it is at 240 dpi...if it's not detailed enough shout and I'll make a higher res one.

Edit: I already have spent a fortune there. It's a real Alladin's cave.

Name:	wyvern046.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	3305  

Blog Entries

Superb. Its fine. Ill print this out bigger and in very light tones and then paint it up in colour.

I just might get that book. And the 1700 odd borders. And the animal collection. And the...

That "Liams Old Books" is very good but its not as extensive as this one. But his is free + donations.

Anyway, I digress. Thanks Ravs. Will do a little painting in the down time.

Blog Entries

Been doing a little more yesterday and today... I sketched out a really rough working of the Wyvern tower and found that it gave the suitable height and angles if the base is 25ft not 50ft. So this meant that the scale for the fort is about right at 100ft across. Sizes are going vary between forts anyway.

So I painted up the top down version and have done a top down Wyvern and a side on copy based on Ravs image. I'm not a great painter so I know its a little rough and the leg is wrong etc but its alright I think - good enough to get the idea across.

Name:	FortTypical2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	244.8 KB 
ID:	3325   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LesserWyvern_In_Tower1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	3326   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LesserWyvern_Side.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	314.3 KB 
ID:	3327  

Blog Entries

Thanks. I printed out your image onto glossy photo paper in very light grey and then painted over the top. I learned two things today.

1. Never paint Gouache on glossy photo paper.
    2. If your using Gouache and need a painters palette then you can do much worse than get some glossy photo paper.

I did the top down one on art card after that fiasco.

I'll mod the wiki now to update.

Nice work Redrobes. I think it looks great. Excellent colouring on the wyverns. When I get some time I would also like to have a go at one of your towers.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    Nice work Redrobes. I think it looks great. Excellent colouring on the wyverns. When I get some time I would also like to have a go at one of your towers.Torq
    Thanks Torq, y'know I didn spot this post until now when I need to update it... Do you want to do the Wyvern Tower side on or maybe the Water Catcher thinger ? Need lots and lots of general buildings too. I expect everyone does tho... maybe ill have to actually get off my butt and do that thatch building maker that I have been putting off forever.

Got a new map to show how much space needs filling... If anyone wants to make a sketch of what Fentor Cross layout might be like that would be good. Usual thing tho - dont use this map, its very low res and I can get all the roads and stuff in nice mud style from a script. So just a pen and paper sketch or stand alone buildings etc etc

Fentor Cross is basically a home to about 800 people plus a merchant stop off point as it sits in the valley of Fentor Hills. It needs to have enough barracks to hold about 60 guards, plenty of Inns and places to stay, lots of shops and markets etc, perhaps a secure area for wagons, blacksmith, farrier, cartwright, capenters etc. I have put the Wyvern Tower on the map but it can be moved anywhere. Prob need a few 'Satch shops' too near the exits

You wont believe how small this is on the area map. Its a dot. The Forts are actually on the map. They are literally one pixel. Gahhh !

Name:	FentorCross1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	3401   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FentorCrossArea1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	3402  
    Last edited by Redrobes; 05-01-2008 at 08:34 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast