Thread: Hello everybody! I'm a rookie in need of help.

Guild Apprentice

Help Hello everybody! I'm a rookie in need of help.

I've been scouring the web looking for tips on my map making and happened to stumble across this website, so I decided to join after being in awe of the talent. I just recently started making maps. So any advice would be much appreciated. I dont have Adobe photoshop yet and I was wondering if it is the same thing as Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4? Thanks!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Hiya and welcome to the Guild! I have no idea on the Photoshop question, having never heard of Lightroom.

Welcome Sim, I'm afraid I have no clue either. If not though, and you don't want to make a big purchase, you can always download GIMP for free. Many of the tutorials here are done in GIMP.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Apprentice

Thanks guys. I downloaded GIMP. I'm scanning a drawing of mine and going over a tutorial. I'm going to start pretty ambitious but I think it will be worth it in the end.

To answer your question - Photoshop and Lightroom are not the same. Lightroom is more geared towards taking several photos (e.g. you just took 200 photos at a photoshoot), browsing and choosing through them, touching them all up, applying color tweaks, bringing out highlights and shadows, and exporting them.

Photoshop is more geared towards heavy image manipulation that drastically change the content of the image or create entirely new ones (as is the case with most map making techniques here.

I think of Lightroom as more of a photographers tools to help manage his images and prep them for more heavy work in Photoshop. Hope that helps.

Guild Apprentice

Thanks kindari, you just saved me $80. I'm just gonna stick with GIMP for now. I've been doing one of the tutorials and opted out of being so ambitious. It's really showing me who's boss. So I just took the map from the tutorial and it's going pretty decent so far. I'm thinking if I'm lucky I might finish tonite or tomorrow.