Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unnamed Mercator World Map

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Ah, the hard truths. So I realized Katto was right (of course), and also found out that it goes faster the second/third/eighth times around on designing knotwork

I put a redesigned border plan on; does this one look a little more original?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mercatorWorldMapPost3.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	44421  

Well I personally didn't find anything wrong with the first design, but I like the second as well.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Hi there. Nice start, I like the shapes and the maps of the poles. I wanted to make a map of one of my poles too, but I decided not to put land at the poles at all because I couldn't make a separate map for it that looked like it should be. If you can, could you please tell me how you did it or give me a few pointers? ie how to take either the centered island map and translate it into a realistic stretched landmass as it would look on the mercator projection or take the stretched north pole and create a good looking centered island map from it?

Thanks!

Well, to be honest I cheated I started with a randomly generated map in PlanetGen, which outputs as equirectangular (planetgen is free software; i can't grab a link while posting from my phone but google should find it pretty easily). Then I took that equirectangular map and ran it through g.projector.win (also free software, by folks at nasa) three times for the mercator projection and for both polar projections (with latitude set at 90 and -90 respectively).

To go from mercator to a polar map is really difficult, because the mercator projection fails at the poles (it stretched to infinity and never actually gets to the pole). And I can't free-hand the stretch for equi --- so I cheat.

I've decided on digital, and started on the actual map. So far I have the border started; I've found that hand-inking knotwork, even over a copied template, gets really tedious and time consuming! So whenever I tired of drawing the lines I did some coloring and shading.

I'm trying to stick with effects that I'm confident I could reproduce with nibs and brushes, ink and paint, so if I ever feel masochistic enough to do this over on paper I could

Posting just a piece at full resolution, since this is all I have so far anyhow. Whole map posts will have to be severely shrunk; the full map is 10800x7200px.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MercatorWorldMapPost4.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	44573  

Guild Apprentice

This looks pretty cool, so uh. Where does the program unpacks itself? I can't find anything in the help section.

Huh? what program?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Gidde Go !
    Isn't it possible to color just one or two elements and then copy and paste them alternating?

These borders are looking really nice Gidde. I'm excited to see more.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

It is, and I may have to end up doing that for my sanity's sake. As you were the one who caught the generic first pattern, does this one look better?

//Edit: Cross post! Thanks, Arsheesh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast