Thread: Worldbuiding Project - Worldmap

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Worldbuilding Project - Majy'sa

So I had made another thread previously about how I couldn't ever be satisfied on a map that I made for this worldbuilding project that I was working on. I became dissatisfied with that map even though I was happy with the landmasses, so I thought to start from the core up, or sort of. I've been busy with a bunch of other things as well and a lot of things have happened since I posted that thread. So I thought it would be better to start up a new one.

For this map, I took the advice of making it an equirectangular projection. I drew out where the equator was and vaguely where the tropics lines would be (I really don't know where to put the tropics lines, though I know for an earthlike world, they should be at 23.5 degrees north and south of the equator. Photoshop is not good at finding degrees, so I just guessed.) I started out this project by drawing out tectonic plates, though I haven't quite mapped the direction in which they'll be moving. On a new layer, I drew out land masses in the general shapes that I would like. It's not all super detailed yet, that'll come later. The next step is probably be mapping out the mountains and biomes after I figure out the directions in which the plates are moving. I'm rather fond of temperate forests and would like a particularly large one somewhere on here, as that is a very important landmark for this world. This is where I have trouble with the map, though. I haven't taken much geography so I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject, and most of what I've learned about geography in fact comes from this site and reading reference links.

But yeah, in order to get the amounts of forests I wanted, I was told to move the landmasses closer to the poles. Oh, and another thing that was particularly important to have in this map was archipelagos and islands like the Caribbean, Japan and the Philippines. This was hugely inspired by Chrono Cross's setting, as I really really enjoy that islander culture. Also, the humans haven't quite plowed through the forests yet in this world, so they would probably be fairly abundant as well.

Anyway, that's about where I'm at with this map so far. Attaching the plates map and the continental map. They're both 1000x2000 pixels, though the original resolutions are 3600x7200 pixels.

EDIT: Adding all screenshots for the wip's.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anotherthing.png 
Views:	170 
Size:	232.5 KB 
ID:	44419 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coastallines.png 
Views:	184 
Size:	399.9 KB 
ID:	44420

Name:	blacknwhitegrid.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	44478 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountainlocations.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	44476

Name:	mountain.png 
Views:	460 
Size:	3.10 MB 
ID:	44477 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rough biomes.png 
Views:	110 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	44479

Name:	merged.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	3.14 MB 
ID:	44480
    Last edited by Paramenides; 05-04-2012 at 02:01 AM.