Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 13][Town 01] Kwourin

Thanks Rob. I'll give that turbulence bump map a whirl as soon as I get back to the computer tomorrow. As for the bevelled roofs, a tutorial would be a bit much. I just select all the buildings, then apply a black/white gradient to them on a separate layer, using shaped angular as a setting. Make the layer invisible and use it as a bump map for the building layer.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Here is the same map with the bump mapping applied to the forests as suggested by RobA.

Torq
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Newcity.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	601.5 KB 
ID:	3377  

Post I want some virtual real estate. Give me a house!

It looks really good Torg. It has a strong sort of 'this is reality' feel to it.

very well done.

Sigurd

I must say, the mountains are just epic. They just have this, natural look to them. How did you do them? They look complicated. Also it might just be me, but the forests look 'taller' then the mountains, only in some spots, but not sure how to say it.

Just looked at the latest post, guess I'm just restating what Sigurd said

The town definitely has the sprawling feeling to it.
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

All I can say is 'wow'. The shading on the mountains is phenomenal. I'm gobsmacked! Is there any way you can sharpen up the forest outlines? They seem a bit out of keeping with the rest of the map which is really crisp.

Blog Entries

Yeah this is really right on. Theres a few small points I would make though none detract from a great bit of map.
    Theres some strong vertical lines in the trees on the right side. I dont know if that is a texture issue but if it is then a tip I would suggest is to use several of the same texture blended together but at different scales strong lines tend to cancel each other out then.
    The other thing is more subtle but I think that maybe the fields should have stronger borders to them. They look good but it looks as if they are translucent over the top. If some had the same kind of shadows and contrast that the buildings have then it would look a lot like hedgerows.
    Lovely texture on the stone tho.

Hi all. Here is the latest version of the map of Kwourin. I have taken into account much of what has been said. I couldn't implement some of it though becasue I had unfortunately merged a few toom nay layers. I learned a lesson though, and I wont make that mistake again soon.

Torq
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kwourin.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	613.9 KB 
ID:	3471  

Torq, I love this map, especially the patchwork fields effect! That is my favorite thing about the map and I can't recall ever seeing any artist rendition of this effect that beats yours. If I had to complain about anything, it would be the buildings. While I love the effect you have on the buildings in general, I just don't think it meshes well with the background as well as your original version's buildings.

Oh, and I really like the sidebar way of showing points of interest. It's something you don't see much of and for this map, it just "works".

Joe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast