Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: *** May Challenge - Draw a Map by Hand ***

You can always do the challenge and then colorize a second version digitally. I figure that's what I may do.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Novice Facebook Connected babayaya's Avatar

just a question........

can it be old map I've already drawn? (no more chinese ink for now... and no way to find some before at least 2 months...)

Default Basic contest rules

For babayaya
    Here are the basic overall rules and several Q&A. README-Mapping-Challenge-Rules Can't figure out why the linking function isn't working for me But it is in the next level up under (Forum: Current Mapping Challenge)

I won't be entering this one but perhaps some clarification. Is this totally "FREEHAND" or are Mechanical tools allowable ? ex. Ruler: Compass; Protractor etc ?
    Last edited by lostatsea; 05-08-2012 at 06:31 PM.
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Part of the purpose to the challenges is training to be able to work towards and under a deadline so it is expected that everyone will create their entry within the allotted time.

If someone spent months working on something it would be likely to blow away the competition. Not that these things are so much about winning - after all the only thing you get is a gold circle next to your avatar and the knowledge that others like your work.

Basically, we are all under the honor system because it's not like anyone could know for sure...we might suspect but it's not really worth bothering with.

One of the best aspects of doing these challenges is posting the WIP as you progress and hearing lots of comments from others as well as suggestions and encouragement.

Let me see if I can create the link to the sticky lostatsea is after: Rules
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 05-08-2012 at 06:34 PM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lostatsea View Post
    Is this totally "FREEHAND" or are Mechanical tools allowable ? ex. Ruler: Compass; Protractor etc ?
    I believe that the stated challenge is to create a map by physically manipulating a medium that does not reside in a computer... My take is that YES you can use the full gamut of drafting tools if you want...or even crayons
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Novice Facebook Connected babayaya's Avatar

ok, thanks for these precisions.

I'll take some time to do something inspired by my ancient times drafts.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    I believe that the stated challenge is to create a map by physically manipulating a medium that does not reside in a computer... My take is that YES you can use the full gamut of drafting tools if you want...or even crayons
    I agree with Korash; I've already gratuitously used a ruler several times for the first aborted draft of my entry (damn that purple pen, and damn me for touching the real paper with it >.<).

I have started something in my sketchpad but I won't be able to really crank on it until I get my lite challenge entry completed and the way my wife is busting my chops about it that might take a while She's awesome and certainly not worried about my feelings, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Part of the purpose to the challenges is training to be able to work towards and under a deadline
    Sadly, what I really need is the ability to get things done without a deadline.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Sinnyo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    Sadly, what I really need is the ability to get things done without a deadline.
    This made my day. I apologise for not making much of a contribution to the topic with this reply, but I had to say something in solidarity.
    "Leave nothing but journey histories, take nothing but pictures; speak softly and carry a big lightsaber."
    raygungoth.net | @RaygunGoth (known by that handle most places but here!)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast