Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: *** May Challenge - Draw a Map by Hand ***

Guild Apprentice

In a boring lecture about european religious history today i did call a tradition of mine back to life: decorating my seperator sheets in my folder! I started with the one for Political Geography, which relys heavily on territory, borders and stuff. So what would suit that better than a map?
    And now i see that there is a challenge about hand drawn maps. Well, it won't be a big map, and unfortunatelly I now have coloured sheets instead of my former white ones, so the map's background will be pink, but screw it, i'll just enter that challenge and give it a try.
    Conversation at university while writing our group report:
    "I'll make a map." - "We don't need a map, we only interviewed some people." - " I know, but it won't stop me from making one."

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Great idea for the May challenge. I hope I get some good ideas (and enough time) to add an entry.

Well Sap, since I am also working on an entry....I kind of hope you don't.... ROFL.

Just kidding as stated before the more the merrier and it feels a little more empty if you win and none of the great mappers around here had any entries.

Still, now I know I have to try and bring my 'A' game.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Well Sap, since I am also working on an entry....I kind of hope you don't.... ROFL.

Just kidding as stated before the more the merrier and it feels a little more empty if you win and none of the great mappers around here had any entries.

Still, now I know I have to try and bring my 'A' game.
    Can't wait to see your entry, Jax!

I know there is no image processing but can I scan this in and duplicate the layer just to make it readable or do I have to go over the entire thing with Ink? I thought in the past we could adjust the scanned image just for darkness purposes but no painting or coloring, etc?

I know that in the end it's up to the voters but I figured I would ask this for everyone's benefit. Sap for instance lost a lot of the darkness of his original during the porting of it to the PC. Personally, I don't see anything bad about tweaking it to look more like the original but cleaning up edges or running any sort of filters would be out. Just my opinion though and I'm happy to go with whatever everyone else thinks.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I dunno, that seems like processing to me ... but I'm a bit of a stickler. Can we get some other opinions?

Well, it's basically the conversation we had in this thread last time we did this: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...Map-by-Hand***

I guess I can tweak my scanner when I use it so I don't loose pencil lines that aren't carved into the paper but it seems that those with better scanners will get better quality. I can take a shot with my digital camera if I can find the thing. That puppy eats batteries like crazy though. I will say that since my piece is covering two pages in my sketch book I will have to cobble that together for the whole. If that's not ok I will have to settle for the side of the map I like best, hehe.

I'm ok with whatever we decide because it's all about the hand work anyway.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Sinnyo's Avatar

Interesting point! I have used inks in mine so far in order to avoid the problem you describe, Jaxilon, but I was hoping to shade in pencil and it's likely I would have to adjust the light levels before scanning in order to bring them out in something approaching the original clarity. I'm also drawing on an A3 sheet, which means I'll have to scan twice at A4 then merge the pieces, probably adding a touch of light to that gutter area where the excess paper has been lifted slightly off the platen.

All of which amounts to processing in some form or another.

I seem to find myself in the "well, I would have done it myself" mindset, Jaxilon.
    "Leave nothing but journey histories, take nothing but pictures; speak softly and carry a big lightsaber."
    raygungoth.net | @RaygunGoth (known by that handle most places but here!)

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Well, I'm all for going with the majority; we've always had kind of a voters-police-the rules policy anyhow.

But I have to wonder why you guys would put yourselves in the spot to begin with; when I started planning my entry my number one thought was "what will scan well?" and i decided materials etc that i knew i could scan without the double page issue etc.

Speaking of which I gotta get a thread going before I wimp out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's an idea that might work. I can take a picture of everything which won't be much on format but will show the original. Then I can post that along with the scanned in copy and the voters can decide if it looks like I'm cheating or not. Pretty much like Sinnyo did in her thread. I may just use my phone to take the overall shot though so I'm not sure how well that is going to come out.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast