Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: *** May Challenge - Draw a Map by Hand ***

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Default *** May Challenge - Draw a Map by Hand ***

Back by popular demand as a regular challenge, we have the Draw a Map by Hand challenge this month!

(Challenge wording gratuitously stolen from Ravells, from the November/December 2011 Lite Challenge)

Your map can be of anything and at any scale, provided that it is drawn by hand on a physical medium (e.g. paper, cloth, bark, vellum etc) This means:

The entire piece, including the map, cartouche, neatlines, labelling etc must be hand drawn or hand written on a physical medium.
    No 'touching up' on the computer afterwards.
    Within the above restrictions you can use any media to draw/paint with (e.g. pencils, pens, inks, paints, pastels).
    For the avoidance of doubt: Computer tablets/pens are *NOT* allowed.

Scan your map or take a digital photo of it to present it here!

This should be a fun competition! We hope that there will be lots of participation (and laughs along the way). We think this is going to be a liberating experience!

Please remember to put the latest wip tag (see the Instructions sticky) before each wip attachment, so that your thumbnail goes on the thumbnail page which is here:

Good luck and happy mapping!
    Last edited by Gidde; 05-12-2012 at 08:47 AM.

Well this figures. I am in the position where I can still entry both challenges and I want to to do them both very much. In fact, I already posted in the Lite challenge. Now the question is can I find the time to take care of two maps at once? Oh the agony. Why couldn't this one have been something like "draw post holes" which I could have merrily declined?
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Hahaha. I actually envy your pain. I would love to be able to do the lite challenges! I'm looking forward to entering this one as well

I know, I have thought about what happens if I ever win one of these or get a featured map. That will mean having to just observe all those lovely Lite Challenges going by instead of being able to jump in and start drawing. It will be a bitter sweet moment.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    I know, I have thought about what happens if I ever win one of these or get a featured map. That will mean having to just observe all those lovely Lite Challenges going by instead of being able to jump in and start drawing. It will be a bitter sweet moment.
    Yep. So many Lites go by that I wish I could enter....

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

Damn. I started a huge hand drawn map last week.
    This cavern is below all, and is the foe of all. It is hatred, without exception. This cavern knows no philosophers; its dagger has never cut a pen. Its blackness has no connection with the sublime blackness of the inkstand. Never have the fingers of night which contract beneath this stifling ceiling, turned the leaves of a book nor unfolded a newspaper.

I've done a few just for fun. Might enter ths challenge if I can find some extra time this month.
    M

Guild Member Facebook Connected Nighthawk's Avatar

Bwuh... I don't do maps by hand.

Just as well; this was shaping up to be a complicated month for me anyway.

I didn't for a long time either; one thing I love about these challenges is that it encourages me to push my comfort zone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guild Member Facebook Connected Sinnyo's Avatar

Just when I was thinking I should probably do something in traditional media again.. well, sort of! Last time I hand-drew something it turned out to be the most popular thing in my gallery, but that was coloured digitally. Augh. But hey, I can always give pencil shading a try. I'll spare myself (and you) the dubious joys of my awful 12-colour arsenal of felt tip pens.

Thanks! I'd been looking forward to this month's challenge.
    "Leave nothing but journey histories, take nothing but pictures; speak softly and carry a big lightsaber."
    raygungoth.net | @RaygunGoth (known by that handle most places but here!)

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast