Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pirate Maps!

Nice job! Thought I'd share my work covering the same area. I did the insert map for Sid Meier's Pirates:

Holy crap, it's an active forum. Thanks for all the replies! And that's one slick looking map. I think I have a copy of that insert somewhere around here actually...

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    You might want to try showing the currents using something like contour lines...(though I'll admit I have never seen this before)
    Attachment 3213

-Rob A>
    Ooooh, yes that looks awesome. I'll have to play with that idea
    ~The Odds are Good, but the Goods are Odd.~

I would use small, stylized arrows although nowhere near as many as are on the weather chart. I would use only enough to convey the major current features, and not every little permutation or detail. Afterall, they wouldn't have super detailed information in such a setting.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cartographist View Post
    I would use small, stylized arrows although nowhere near as many as are on the weather chart. I would use only enough to convey the major current features, and not every little permutation or detail. Afterall, they wouldn't have super detailed information in such a setting.

Agreed, and permutation is such a great word. >.> Sometimes I need to be reined in from going overboard with detail and bogging my work down. Thanks!

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's a stunning map. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Is the seal with the woman and dolphins freehand?

Yep, freehand using a tablet in photoshop. Mirrored the dolphins. She's from about a year ago so I need to update her anatomy but here's a larger version:
    Last edited by RPMiller; 04-21-2008 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Image posting is fine.

Chel, I removed the image for now. I need to talk this over with Arcana and the other CLs. While I personally have no problem with it, we have to maintain a certain level of "family friendness". Because the breasts were a bit more "detailed" than would be generally accepted, I pulled until we decide if it is ok to use.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Chel, we talked it over and you can go ahead and repost the image. We also made a decision on what we would allow which is will come in handy for future posted works. Sorry about censoring your post, but we are still working out what is acceptable and all that. Please repost it, I thought it was really good. I am curious about what you meant by "update her anatomy" though.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Chel, we talked it over and you can go ahead and repost the image. We also made a decision on what we would allow which is will come in handy for future posted works. Sorry about censoring your post, but we are still working out what is acceptable and all that. Please repost it, I thought it was really good. I am curious about what you meant by "update her anatomy" though.

Whoops! Didn't even occur to me that it might not be appropriate. I'll bear
    that in mind with any other possible nudity postings.

..and she has some issues with her arms and shoulder connections. Just a
    little awkward and wooden looking in hindsight. By the by, I have no issue
    censoring, that's what cockle shells are for. *grin*

Tethys: Goddess of the Sea depending on which Greek polis you ask.

Last edited by Chel; 04-22-2008 at 12:36 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast