Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ascension's Atlas Style Tutorial - Revised Presentation + Actions

I've run into a bit of an issue: when zoomed in, placing rivers I realized that I hadn't feathered the coast early on an have random pixelated noise. I tried created an inverted selection from the Base layer, modifying, and deleting, but this seems to have no effect. Anyone got an idea? Otherwise I'm starting from scratch.

I'm using PS 5.1. Thanks for the awesome tutorial.

Anybody? Wrong forum (general maybe better)?

Thanks for putting this together Kindari!

Super helpful to a complete noob such as myself. Really loved the Youtube walk through! You're a great teacher man!

I tried the original tutorial and got stranded at step 10. I'll try this new version out tomorrow.

I read it for a bit and I must say your writing style is completely superior to the previous version. If only all tutorials were written in this style, it's much more clear.
    Last edited by Iggy; 07-23-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Wow man, this is my first post right here, and I would like to say thank you very much for all your trouble, you are awesome! I'll say thanks a lot too to Ascencion for making the original tutorials, you guys rock

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	final atlas.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	958.0 KB 
ID:	62098
    This was created with the tutorial, with 3 and 2 pixels for the rivers, a darker color for the oceans, and some texture and color overlay for the forests. Thanks for the guide, it was simple and easy to follow. Also wanted to mention that I used a previously created land base from a different map Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map 3 overlay.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	62099 created using the fantasy map tutorial from Jessica Khoury at Fantasy Mapmaking Tutorial (1 of 5) - YouTube
    Last edited by Airik Rotscale; 03-07-2014 at 05:15 AM.

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Hello. Cheers for all the amazing work, I have found that this is a wonderful way to get into cartography. The instructions were very clear and I found it an amazing learning process. I have made about 4 maps now, each time changing little bits and pieces but I have come up with a few features I would like to add in that I don't quite have the experience to know how to implement and at what times would be best to chuck them in.

I would like to add beaches where land mass touches the water. The best way I thought of doing this was to create a separate layer with a coloured cloud filter that was cut from the Base layer and then contracted 1 pixel but I'm not quite sure how to work with the mapping to make this apply properly.

I fiddled around with the size of the chisel for the mountains and found increasing the number to around 50 gave a really defined set of mountains. I have a few on my map that level off the at the top rather than form some really cool peaks which I assume is an interaction between the cloud render and the effects and because of them they somewhat make the other mountains seem smaller in scale. I have had a fiddle but cant seem to get some really huge peaks so any help with fitting in those would be cool.

I also found if you put a cloud layer between the hills and the mountains you can get some really cool storm effects but again I'm not quite sure the best way to localise these around specific mountains.

I will chuck in some images from my latest map so you can get a better idea, the third map in the section is the one I want to try adding these features to, I was trying some alternate ways to put in rivers here by cutting them in all the way back in the base map. From being a complete novice with Photoshop to having some ideas of the tools and effects in just a few maps is really neat testament to the work you put into your tutorial. Cheers for all your work.

Name:	Map Part 3 Done.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	62588 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Atlas Two.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	62587 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Good Mountains.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	2.58 MB 
ID:	62585 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Storms.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	62586
    Last edited by Daniel Morgan; 03-24-2014 at 08:23 PM.

Guild Novice

The tutorial is really good.

Can you create a version with Mac shortcuts for us Mac users? The tutorial all use Windows shortcuts.

Dude. Seriously. Your video tutorial was the most helpful thing I have seen on the internet as an aspiring cartographer. Thanks so much. I was having some trouble with Ascension's .doc and you cleared it all up for me.

Name:	uhoh.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	66989

First off, thank you so much for this. You've alleviated so much frustration with layer procedures getting these amazing effects that PS is capable of.

Next, I have absolutely no problems following the tutorial. That's a first.

I mostly lost the ability to draw maps from nerve damage; and tutorials like this breathe life back into one of my favorite hobbies.

Finally, the action method has been giving me a lil difficulty.

I get the error in the image here and I'm not sure what to do.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by ZDPhoenix; 08-28-2014 at 07:27 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast