Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Ascension's Atlas Style Tutorial - Revised Presentation + Actions

Quote Originally Posted by vikz View Post
    I can't seem to see the link it the written instructions - If I am missing it, forgive me...... can you advise? many thanks
    A link to what ?

First of all, excellent tutorial. You have a very clear spoken voice. I am getting a little stuck though. I am not sure if it is my cs 3 version, or what but I have 2 main issues. First, in step 15 when I select color range it comes up as empty. I imagine that is because the layer is only a clouds layer with a layer style color overlay. So instead I used magic wand and selected anything that was black. However since this is a common step in the rest of the tutorial, I wonder if there is someway to fix this.

Second issue is in step 26 If I clear layer styles on the ocean adjust layer, it reverts back to just a black and white clouds layer. The layer style on it is the color?

Because you didn't indicate the reason for each step, I don't really know the goal. Are you trying to have 2-3 different widths for shading and height?

Thanks again for the tutorial and for any help you might be able to offer.

I love the tutorial! I went through the manual version completely, but alas, my laptop crashed midsave near the end, and I lost the whole thing. Two whole days of work gone!

I figured this would be a good time to switch to the actionscript version to recreate my work (*sob*), but I'm getting the same problem some other people are... step 7 just isn't working right.

This looks absolutely nothing close to resembling what I had when doing it manually. The lighting is messed up, and the gradient is different too! What's going wrong? I'm using Photoshop CC, which I believe is the same as CS6.

Can anyone help? Is there something wrong with the script as uploaded, given that some others have expressed issues with this step as well?

Hello, Kindari! Just wanted to thank you for the excellent tutorial. I have merely finished the video version on Youtube and produced my very first map from scratch. I downloaded the trial version of Photoshop and followed your steps (and I have never used Photoshop before). Made a draft map for a tabletop RPG setting my friend/GM had in mind for a future campaign. He liked it and I'm rather stoked myself, although it doesn't look quite as good as yours.

I don't know whether or not you have much experience with making video tutorials, but I have to say that this was really top notch. The pacing, the voice-over, the on-screen shortcuts and the other content was really well put together.

So again, thank you for getting me started!

Quote Originally Posted by Fieari View Post
    I love the tutorial! I went through the manual version completely, but alas, my laptop crashed midsave near the end, and I lost the whole thing. Two whole days of work gone!

I figured this would be a good time to switch to the actionscript version to recreate my work (*sob*), but I'm getting the same problem some other people are... step 7 just isn't working right.

This looks absolutely nothing close to resembling what I had when doing it manually. The lighting is messed up, and the gradient is different too! What's going wrong? I'm using Photoshop CC, which I believe is the same as CS6.

Can anyone help? Is there something wrong with the script as uploaded, given that some others have expressed issues with this step as well?
    I am getting exactly this problem and it has made the actions version of this completely useless to me. I'm using CS6 though. Can anyone please help?

Hello cartographers, Having some frustrating fun with this tutorial so far. Part of it is that I'm running CS. Like the old Johnny Cash song about the Cadillacs, some of the bolt holes don't line up. Part of it is that my Photoshop career thus far is about nine hours, during which time my daughter took me out to eat, so there's a couple of hours of the nine that I wasn't actually doing PS.

I've worked around a couple of the issues, but I'm stuck hard on step 27. Between reading the comments on the Youtube page and this thread, I vaguely understand what's going on. In CS6, applying the lighting effects bakes in the color of the ocean layer. In previous versions, it does not. So, Both the Ocean and Ocean Adjust layers are showing monochrome thumbnails. It's at this point where everybody starts speaking what appears to be a foreign language.

ATM, I can't figure out how to bake the color into the ocean layer so that when I clear the layer styles on the Ocean Adjust layer, I don't end up with a monochrome image. I've seen a couple of workarounds on the Youtube page that I about half understand. Can anybody lay it out clear enough for a complete scrub to understand?

Thanks

Guild Novice

New to the Guild and I'm going to try this today. I'm using Photoshop CC.

Hey folks. First, I want to thank the creators for thus tutorial. I've used it before to great effect, and I must say I love it. I did have one question though.

I remember a while ago seeing someone mention and option for using an outline you may have drawn by hand for this, but I can't for the life of me find out how to do that or where to look. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Hey.

I'm following the youtube video (Atlas Map Style Tutorial - 3 of 7 (Photoshop)) and i'm at step 27
    27. Clear layer styles (layer “Ocean Adjust”) --- Alt -> L -> Y -> A
    When i follow this step in the video it goes back to the clouds (Black and white)

Here are the pictures before and after i do that step
    Before: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mmspxgwhk2...efore.png?dl=0
    After: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhj1lmht2b...After.png?dl=0

And is it just a PS6 thing that the thumbnails in the layer part of the screen is blue (in video 1 and 2 they are like mine) but in part 3 they have changed to blue in the thumbnails

I think the OP has abandoned the thread. I've had no success getting any responses over the last couple of months. The issue with the image going back to monochrome is specific to the version of PS you're using. Later versions bake the color in during the operation of step 27. Older versions require you to bake the color into the image separately. Earlier in this thread somebody went over the steps. I haven't done them yet, since I'm a flailing infant with PS. If you or anybody gets it to work in older versions, please put up a tutorial.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast