Thread: Painting realistic coastlines easily and intuitively

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Tutorial Painting realistic coastlines easily and intuitively

This is my first post, but I started lurking here like 10 years ago.

I was stoked to figure this one out, and I'm excited to see where else this kind of thing can be applied.

Shout out to Old Guy and Ascension for tackling this in fine fashion. I wanted a brush that would give me realistic coastlines for free, and this is what I came up with:

I'd love to hear what you all think.

Very cool technique! I'll have to play around with it some myself. Thanks!

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

You bet!

It's my first tutorial and upon reflection I took a while to get to the meat of it.

Hope it's helpful.

So I clicked on this tutorial randomly, and it's the best thing that's happened to me today.

I've spent countless hours making cloud layers and handpicking interesting bits and sticking them together to make interesting continents. I'm often happy with the results but they can be "too random," lacking the softer edges that occur along some continents. It's also just so dang time consuming! On the other hand, hand drawn maps are fine, and much faster to produce, by I find that I tend to subconsciously repeat patterns. This... this is a wonderfully happy medium. I look forward to test driving it soon!

I have seen thish guide some times and it look very cool... i just have the problem i Dont Seem to finde a cloude brush which Can make the effekt

What a great idea to use clouds to generate fractal style edges! It makes me think there are many things that could be used for.

I got a little carried away here, but I think your video is very inspiring.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a75.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	226.5 KB 
ID:	107791
    Gimp doesn't have the same features as PS, but I think the general idea is the same
    Last edited by Sam101; 06-14-2018 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CJSchou View Post
    I have seen thish guide some times and it look very cool... i just have the problem i Dont Seem to finde a cloude brush which Can make the effekt
    https://abluescarab.deviantart.com/a...shes-247810856

Try these; they seem to work extremely well for me