Thread: Good Morrow!

Default Good Morrow!

Howdy! New person here. I'm Liam, and I can't wait to get stuck in!

A little about myself then? I'm a Computer Games Design graduate from the University of Huddersfield, currently working on a couple of projects with some fellow graduates I'm training myself to be an artist for the industry, but I'm pretty happy doing any kind visual design work.

I'm also a Bookseller during the day, which a fairly interesting job, and it pays the bills.

I've always been a lover of maps, and spent many years as a young Orienteer up here in the North (of England, not Westeros... although that's essentially the same thing right?). There's nothing quite like running through the countryside, forests, hills, peaks, whilst finding your own way, it's quite exhilarating and I'd heartily encourage you all to try some amateur events if you're into any sort of running. (although the maps themselves are a little less whimsical than we may all be used to )

By the way, if any of you have done a bit of orienteering, I'd love to hear about it some time.

I think that's about all from me for now, other than Hello! again.

And I guess I should mention that if anyone likes to game together, in a civilised manner, feel free to add me to Xbox Live, PSN, or Steam Just ask me for my names.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Hiya Liam! Welcome to the Guild!

I did an afternoon of Orienteering at 6th grade camp, does that count? It wasn't much but it was great fun!

Edit: eek, I didn't reply to the gaming question; I am on xboxlive, what kinds of games do you play? I mostly just play CAll of Duty on the xbox these days. When it can tear me away from writing, mapping and SWTOR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gidde; 05-08-2012 at 11:04 AM.

Welcome aboard!

I don't Orienteer. Oh, I did a couple compass courses many moons ago but I wouldn't say I'm proficient.

Glad to have you here, it's a fantastic place you have come to.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Ahhh...Orienteering.....how that brings back memories.....Fond memories?...depends on whether or not you find joy in discovering unmarked swamps, gullies, cliffs or just unpassable vegitation (which maps NEVER tell you about....

And for me that would be a "Hell Ya!!"

Did some orienteering in early high school, plus ah so many map marches while in the army. The night ones were always the most fun...

Best memories of these night time ones were while teaching recruits how to use a map. We always do a few day ones before the night...and invariably SOMEONE will sight on trees and then not be able to figure out why he is not getting where he wants to...a few hours later if I am in a naughty mood

The night ones are even more entertaining...Going on a planned night march of a couple of hours...and the first guy sights on a star..." The brightest one there, Sarge. See it?".....some times the last guys are sighting on the rising sun.....

Anyhoot..Welcome to the Guild, The Mappiest Place on the Web
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

The only real orienteering I've ever done was in Boy Scouts, and I was terrible at it (I don't think ever earned my badge). But that was then, I haven't done it since, but, given my love of hiking, think I would quite enjoy it now. Anyway, welcome to the Guild.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Gidde :-

eek, I didn't reply to the gaming question; I am on xboxlive, what kinds of games do you play? I mostly just play CAll of Duty on the xbox these days. When it can tear me away from writing, mapping and SWTOR
    OOH Swtor! I started playing a little over a month or two ago
    I'm up for most games, although it depends on what console. For Xbox I'll play Cod, Battlefield, Left4Dead, Gears, I still enjoy pootling around on GTA 4 and Red Dead Redemption. I enjoy the odd SKATE session, Mass Effect 3. A few others, but most others are likely on PS3 or Steam
    Anyway, if you want to add me, my Xbox Gamertag is: LiamNich

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Will do! You'll know mine when you see it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk