Thread: Hi there.

Default Hi there.

My name is Nina, and I've just recently (two days ago) discovered the wondrous world cartography.

About 6 month ago I started playing some d&d and am now facing my first trials as a DM. My first thought was that authentic looking maps would add a whole new element to the game, and thus I started playing around with Inkscape and making my first map. It is coming along better than I expected, but there is still lot of room for improvement.

I am mostly interested in 'old looking' maps (I do not know the real term for these, but you know what I mean; those yellowish, kind of wrinkled ones). I do plan to try out some more realistic mapping in the future to depict smaller areas.

Anyway, nice to meet you all.

Hi there Nina, welcome to the Guild! Well you have certainly come to the right place. I don't know of any Inkscape tutorials on antique looking maps, but there are several such tutorials here for GIMP (another freeware program). Gidde has written a particularly nice one. I'd reccomend spending some time in the Tutorials section and see if you can find a tutorial that matches the style you are going for. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Howdy Nina welcome to the Guild, the Mappiest Place on the Web

Just to add to what arsheesh said, Inkscape is a great line art tool, but you should also know that you can take the finished line art and bring it into Gimp to add textures...like those crinkled paper type stuff . There are quite a few tutorials on those hiding in all sorts of nooks and crannies around this place...(check the tutorial section to find them)

Have fun
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent