Thread: A Concept for My Map of Tiarna Nádúir

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip My Map of Tiarna Nádúir

Hello, all!

I've been working on creating a map for a novel that I'm writing (I'm sure you get a lot of topics like this on these forums), and I've sketched out a few hardcopies with pencil & paper, but I wanted to get more creative with the process. That was when I came across the Cartographer's Guild! After looking at all of the interesting maps that the members have created, I became very inspired. I've attached an image of my map, which I copied from one of my original sketches into Corel Painter. I'll be updating my post from time-to-time with more recent versions of my map, so keep checking back to let me know what you think. I am always open to suggestions and tips as well, so feel free to make a comment or critique my work!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map-Project.jpg 
Views:	1141 
Size:	559.7 KB 
ID:	44973
    Last edited by FoxtrotAnonymous; 05-21-2012 at 01:13 AM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Hi! Yeah, there are quite a few of us that first found the Guild making maps for our writing I'd love to take a look at your stuff, but I'm leery of outside links (since clicking one killed my computer a few weeks ago). Can you use the Attachment Manager (below the post in the advanced editor) to upload it to the guild site instead/as well?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, yes, I noticed the attachment manager after I had posted earlier... Sorry about that, I was running a bit short on time and just threw the link in there. But the image of my map is good-to-go now!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Looks interesting! The only thing I would critique is the river in the very middle that's either running from sea to sea or a second outlet from a big lake; either is incredibly improbable. For more info on rivers and why they do the things they do, take a look at the How to get your rivers in the right place sticky in the tutorial forum.

Thanks a lot for the tip! Stuff like that really takes a great amount of weight off of my conscience I'll definitely have a look at that post.

And here's a much more up-to-date image of my map. I got rid of most of the extra rivers and then added some mountains in what seems to be the correct areas in accordance with the rivers (based on what I read in the Tutorial section on river placement). There's still quite a ways to go yet!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map-Project-Sample.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	247.9 KB 
ID:	44770

This is looking much better Fox-trot. Welcome to the Guild by-the-way.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I'm glad you think so. And thank you very much!
    Last edited by FoxtrotAnonymous; 05-14-2012 at 08:27 PM.