Thread: Allorea Concept

Wip Allorea Concept

This is my first attempt at making a map from scratch in Photoshop, so please be gentle.

This is a concept map that is definitely a WIP for a homebrew setting called Allorea. I am initially creating it for DnD 4e, but plan on having a more rules agnostic version as well so it is easily adaptable to other systems. I am trying to capture a watercolor look and would appreciate any advice or tips on how to better do that for this map. Thanks in advance!

On a side note, this is set to low quality jpeg to cut down on file size. The PNG I will be using for my print copy is about 9 MB so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Allorea.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	325.1 KB 
ID:	44807

i'd remove all green from the water for visual cueing. perhaps also make a water layer and use blur and smudge to make sediment/continental shelves so the ocean floor is less evenly noisy.

but i don't have your vision, which may be going somewhere unique and wonderful

Thanks for the advice! Any on removing the green from the ocean? To get the watercolor look for large areas, I used a brush with foreground/background jitter, with some hue and saturation jitter thrown in for good measure, and chose a lighter aqua-ish blue and a darker navy-ish blue. With the jitter I get the effect I want, but not necessarily a ton of control over color variation. I'm also using the FOCOLTONE swatch for most of this map. This also has a brightness layer. Let me remove it and re upload the map and maybe it'll look better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Allorea.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	44811

Ok, this is it without any adjustment to the brightness and contrast. I had added that in for viewability.
    Last edited by Tyrwan; 05-13-2012 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Uploaded map without brightness layer

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Try using a hue/saturation adjustment layer. Iirc, there's a live preview so you can adjust until you like it.

That actually looks loads better. Thank you.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Looks good so far. I'd make it a little lighter than your last post, but that may just be personal taste. Also, I noticed you have a couple of lakes (blue spots) in the desert (sandy colour) where there's no outile, while you did have an outline for all other lakes... Or is that just me misinterpreting the blue things?