Thread: Deciding on Scale

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Wip Deciding on Scale

I've been messing around with the tuts on here for a couple of weeks now, and decided I'd finally post something I've been working on. My current issue is trying to determine what scale I want the map to be at. It almost appears to be like a harbor or delta entrance to me, but I'm looking for some good advice. I figure once I determine the scale I can then start thinking about mountain v. mountain ranges, how big to make the forests, towns and road locations, etc. Anyways, give me whatever feedback is necessary.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harbor.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	505.9 KB 
ID:	44859

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Hmm. I tend to agree about it looking like it's a big delta of some sort, but it could also be fjords or fjord-like terrain, like northern Scandinavia or the panhandle of Alaska. You could also say it's 'shattered land', a once-whole coastline shattered by ancient magics.

I do like the looks of it so far... lots of room to let your imagination roam.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

I like the idea of it being fjord-like, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do good cliffs yet. If you've got any suggestions for how to do good top-down cliffs as opposed to iso I'd really appreciate that.