Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dungeon Mapping Resources [WIP]

Default Dungeon Mapping Resources [WIP]

Spending some time browsing the forum I felt inspired (by works from Immolate among others) to work on some dungeon mapping resources. Specifically 3d elements or tiles that could be used for dungeon mapping in general and especially to create isometric dungeon maps. Here is a first, early WIP snapshot of the set so far. Any suggestions/opinions regarding style (what little there is yet)? Additional tiles I should add?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ISO_Tiles_WIP.jpg 
Views:	1377 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	44843

Decided to reduce the number of tiles a bit for starters. Next I shall try to build a little example dungeon with those. Still open to suggestions of course. Current state of the experiment:

Name:	ISO_Tiles_WIP1.jpg 
Views:	539 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	44876

Sorry, still no example dungeon today. I started assembling one but then I couldn't help but think that my basic elements might be just a bit too basic. Thus I decided to add a few more to the set. Only things I could think of right of the top of my head. But I'm still open for suggestions (hint, hint!). Until I manage to get a proper dungeon done with these elements have a nother work in progress snapshot. On a sidenote, as I'm still pretty new to the Guild, if I do a dungeon with these, should I post it to a new thread in the dungeon mapping subforum?

Name:	ISO_Tiles_WIP2.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	221.4 KB 
ID:	44899
    Last edited by Kearnaun; 05-17-2012 at 12:23 PM.

You are on the right way Kearnaun, start small and think big. Finish the basic tiles and expand them. What direction are you heading for? Render them iso style or do something like this?

Thank you for an idea to misuse CE

Looking sharp ! Keep up the great work.
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Just an open hole, no ladder. (Maybe there's a ladder somewhere; maybe you need to use a rope; maybe it's just a pit trap.) Oh, traps would be a good addition (blade, spear, vent for something nasty to spit out of...).

Been too quite the last days. Here a little update on the tiles. Nothing really world shaking. A few more board walls. A hole in the ground without ladder. (That what you meant rdanhenry?) A floor tile with a burning brazier. A floor tile with a rather obvious trigger plate. And two trap wall tiles. One an innert arrow trap (although it could be any innert trap as the arrows are barely visible, if at all) and the other an active flame jet trap. The fire for the trap still looks too punny though ...

Name:	ISO_Tiles_WIP3.jpg 
Views:	1828 
Size:	307.3 KB 
ID:	45461

Currently a bit out of ideas regarding the dungeon tiles. What should I do with the dungeon tiles? Map some generic dungeons? Make more tiles? Release high resolution renders of the individual tiles as PNGs with transparency so other people could puzzle themself some iso dungeons? Release the 3d models? Some or all of that?

Anyway, in the meantime as I'm rather bad at mapping floorplans of starships I decided to make something similar with a bit of a Sci-Fi feeling to it. Pretty much the same approach as before. Here is a first snapshot of some starship tiles:

Name:	ISO_SciFi_WIP1.jpg 
Views:	992 
Size:	343.6 KB 
ID:	45921

Been too quite for too long. Got a bit bored with my regular battle maps as well. Thus decided to use my tiles to do some dungeon rooms. Here is a first simple example. Ye olde rectangular room with a section of floor that is slightly depressed and another that is raised. Will add a few more odds & ends to turn it into a halfway decent summoning chamber.

Name:	partial.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	262.7 KB 
ID:	46502

Plans for my 100th map anniversary are that I'll use these tiles to make a classical cretan square labyrinth. Or I could do a new take on a portal chamber with these tiles. Anyway, I probably should remove the front walls for a decent ISO view, shouldn't I?

A slightly more complex example. Obviously I created some variations of the other elements for this one, like walls without floor, to allow for multi level mapping.

Name:	perspective_big.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	801.9 KB 
ID:	46799

Tempted to release this one, or a slightly smaller version, as my 100th battle map anniversary map. Certainly more exciting than a cretan labyrinth. too bad I didn't enter the ISO map lite challenge. Ever so slowly I get the feeling I could have cooked up something awesome with these ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast