Thread: What do you think about this terrain

Guild Novice

Wip What do you think about this terrain

I've been playing around with making meshes for terrains in Blender. I just threw out some buildings and stuff to populate it. I was thinking of doing some dark decaying ruins but the textures of the terrain are more bright and happy so I should do something different.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	water1.jpg 
Views:	434 
Size:	286.1 KB 
ID:	52125Click image for larger version. 

Name:	water2.jpg 
Views:	502 
Size:	322.6 KB 
ID:	52126Click image for larger version. 

Name:	water3.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	293.3 KB 
ID:	52127
    My WIP's:

Pretty cool. Animal treats?
    M

Edit: kudos to you for being able to grok Blender. It's like alien tech to me. I have used a lot of 3D apps (Silo, Maya, 3dsMax, trueSpace, and many others) but could barely do anything in Blender for some reason.
    Last edited by mearrin69; 02-12-2013 at 02:21 AM.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Pretty cool. Animal treats?
    M

Edit: kudos to you for being able to grok Blender. It's like alien tech to me. I have used a lot of 3D apps (Silo, Maya, 3dsMax, trueSpace, and many others) but could barely do anything in Blender for some reason.
    thx, yea I like 3ds max more than blender but I can't afford to use it commercially.

The animal treats, go button, and dashed rectangle are from a kids game I'm making and since I threw the model out in the game engine and I didn't want to go through disabling the elements. This is some of the basic controls from the game:
    My WIP's:

Cute. That's a fast elephant. Smart too, cuts the corner. The pig's a road hog, though. Is this something you're planning on distributing when done?

Anyway, I'm interested in seeing how your terrain develops. I've been thinking about turning one of my city maps into a real 3D map for rendering/flythroughs, etc.
    M

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Cute. That's a fast elephant. Smart too, cuts the corner. The pig's a road hog, though. Is this something you're planning on distributing when done?

Anyway, I'm interested in seeing how your terrain develops. I've been thinking about turning one of my city maps into a real 3D map for rendering/flythroughs, etc.
    M
    Well you drive the elephant by holding down the go button, so you can cut corners There's actually 30 different rideable animals, from goats to donkeys to giraffes and horses. lol

I made a tutorial for making these terrains but it never made it through moderation. Here's a quick rundown of my process:
    Start with a grayscale heightmap: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Texture1024.jpg 
Views:	869 
Size:	239.4 KB 
ID:	52133

Name:	layers2.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	238.3 KB 
ID:	52135Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Layers1.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	457.1 KB 
ID:	52140

Name:	layers3.jpg 
Size:	608.6 KB 
ID:	52136Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layers4.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	884.8 KB 
ID:	52137Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layers5.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	972.2 KB 
ID:	52138Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layers6.jpg 
Size:	544.0 KB 
ID:	52139

Then flip the texture image horizontally and vertically Click image for larger version. 

Name:	textureFlip.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	52134

Here's one of britannia from ultima online:

Name:	reel_8.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	52143Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reel_9.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	52144

Once you have both a grayscale image and a textured version of the same image, you go into blender and do these steps:

In blender you use the heightmap to displace a plane, then use the textured image you made to give it texture which gives stuff like:

Name:	waterPic.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	558.5 KB 
ID:	52141Click image for larger version. 

Name:	modelingPics.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	417.2 KB 
ID:	52142
    My WIP's:

Guild Novice

I made another video that makes the same terrain in Blender but splits it into 4 chunks so it can be used in mobile video games without being too many polygons:

It begins with you already having a heightmap and texture shown in my first video. Also it takes the fbx files you create in blender into Unity 3d game engine where you can put the meshes back together and add the textures. Simply drag a character controller prefab included with unity onto the map and press play to have a playable level for a video game..

At the very end it shows how to make a pattern (dirt, grass, stone, etc) and use different brushes to blend it in on the texture. You could use it to make 2d maps or clean up textures adding extra features like blended stones and stuff. Or add desert sand ground, mud, trails, etc
    My WIP's: