Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: May 2012 Entry: Lost Dwarven Civilization

Default May 2012 Entry: Lost Dwarven Civilization

Ok, I have no idea if this is going to turn out but my main goal honestly is that I need this for a gaming session. Hopefully, it won't suck I wish I could attempt water-coloring the whole thing but it's in my sketchpad so the paper won't handle much abuse. I do have an idea I may try but we'll see about that later. As you can see the by the grey strip down the center if I don't do something it's going to look dumb. I could use a razor and slice the pages out but I really don't like to rip things out of my sketch book. I may ink this if the scans won't come out. Lastly, why does the scan come out huge compared to the actual paper size? This thing is like 3 times the size of the original. I had to shrink it down. Yet another reason I want to get my tablet!

I needed to get this posted or I would surely waffle until the challenge was over and I know the more people in the ring the more fun it is for everyone so here goes.

Oh, one last thing, any labels are just my quick scribbles to remind of things later. I will certainly be erasing those and writing them with my awesome printing skills

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lost Dwarven Civilization.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	290.4 KB 
ID:	44860  
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 05-15-2012 at 05:47 PM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Honestly I don't think the center shadow hurts the map what so ever. To me it adds a sort of realism. An actual dimensional quality. Anyways looking good so far . Looks like the rest of the process might be a challenge in the BOOK. I'll be waiting for updates on this . The size variance may have something to do with the resolution that is was scanned in at? I'm no expert any scanning successes I've had were all trial and error !
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Nice work Jaxilon! It looks like a good layout for a series of games.

I scan it in as a black and white photo at 300dpi (I think) and maybe that's what the problem is but I'm not sure. It looks about right at this size which is fine because if I did it on huge it might overload my PC.

The PC's own the keep on the southern edge but it's new to them and was recently taken over while they were out. Next time we play I purpose for them to find the entrance to the cave that leads to the entrance beneath the keep. Of course, if they are alert enough they may also find the secret doorway leading into a forgot Dwarven underground.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

Nice looking start there Jaxilon - You have some good hand drawing skills.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Try using grayscale instead of black and white; I find that it picks up the lighter stuff better that way. Although honestly, I'm not sure what you were worried about, because that looks great!

The size differential is because 300 dpi displayed on a monitor that shows 100 dpi = 300/100 = 3 times as big.

Ok, all this inking was more than I could take. I went out and picked up some PITT pens yesterday and I am anxious to try them out. Now I'm just wondering how I want to Ink this thing (Do I just make the passages one line thick or should I draw them with two lines to indicate the walls?). I'm frozen with indecision and I hate it when that happens.

Coolness...I have a feeling this is going to be a great contest this month!
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Guild Member Facebook Connected Sinnyo's Avatar

Great to know I'm not the only one who often pauses, pen drawn and wondering if I really want to start down this line of rendering roads/walls/roofs one way or the other. That's what I use Photoshop's eraser tool for!

Looks like a grand start, and I love the way the rivers are drawn. It hadn't occurred to me that the gutter line might add to the sense of realism, but I think Lostatsea is right, there. Worry not, Jaxilon!
    "Leave nothing but journey histories, take nothing but pictures; speak softly and carry a big lightsaber."
    raygungoth.net | @RaygunGoth (known by that handle most places but here!)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast