Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: May 2012 Entry: Gaelynta

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Default May 2012 Entry: Gaelynta

Well, I don't have much yet, just a border and a compass rose, but it's getting to be late enough in the challenge that if I don't commit with a thread I'll wimp out

So here's my entry so far. I'll scan it in once there's some actual map to show, but in the meantime I have a nice little shot of the drawing/painting table, and a close-up of the compass rose.

So far this is all dip pen and calligraphy ink, on watercolor paper; I'll be coloring in watercolors once I get the majority of the ink done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	067.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	532.7 KB 
ID:	44887   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	066.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	545.5 KB 
ID:	44886  

Awesome - I can't wait to see more!

Makes me think we should have a water color challenge or something.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Ooh, this looks promising! This is proving to be a great contest so far.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Go Gidde!!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, this doesn't count for the challenge at all, but I thought I'd post it to share the process. It's a value study for the swiss-style shading I'm hoping to pull off with the watercolors, done with the airbrush and smudge tools in gimp (because it's SOOO much faster than pencil for shading). Took about 2 hours, the first hour of which was just figuring out what I was doing.

Name:	valueStudy.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	420.8 KB 
ID:	44903  

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

It sort of confuses my brain into thinking it's mountain ranges, yet rivers also.... - but very smooth shading there Gidde.

Nice. I've been playing around with the shaded relief style myself. This looks pretty good though, especially for only 2 hours of work! That would have taken me substantially longer to achieve.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks guys! And, it actually is rivers and mountains (although I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant)

After tonight's work, I have a scalebar, and a coastline, and penciled in rivers to do that shading by. Nowhere near this many rivers will get inked; they're just for me to be able to tell where the hills and valleys are. Unfortunately, I screwed up the "W" on my compass rose, but I don't think it's enough to start the whole thing over for ... I think I'm going to have to add an island up there so that it visually makes sense that the rose is so scrunched

On a happy note, after struggling all day yesterday with a pen that wouldn't release its ink onto the paper, I realized today that my ink was just too thick and today's inking went much smoother!

I'll properly scan this in tomorrow, but for now we have another iphone pic of the thing (and I finally have enough to give it the latest wip treatment):

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	710.4 KB 
ID:	44906  

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

love it - you have a way with lettering. I don't mind the "W" at all - looks fine to me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast