Thread: May 2012 Entry: Isle of Annwn

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Default May 2012 Entry: Isle of Annwn

The Isle of Annwn; the realm of the sidhe. Some say it lies beyond the mists at the western edge of the westernmost ocean. Others say it is a land beneath the waves themselves. Still others say it rests beneath the very hills. The wise will tell you that Annwn is a place both near and far; as distant as the memory of lives long past, and yet as close as breathing. At the edge of twilight, you can almost touch it. Have you ever thought you saw something move in the corner of your eye, and when you looked it was gone? Those are the fae, the creatures of Annwn.

If you can find your way here, you will have to beware of the feuding courts of the Sidhe. The Seelie Court at Caer Fedwyd, full of pomp and elegance, much too aloof to concern themselves with mortals; and The Unseelie at Nennius, full of the rabble, fae interbred with anything and everything; twisted and hungry for mortal prey.

Yet the Sidhe are not the only ones who walk here: The Gray Host of the dead troops from their landing at the bay Cuan Mairbhe to the top of Tech Duinn, to Donn's Cauldron of Resurrection, where they will be given new life, and sent back into the world of the living. Gods too sometimes walk these lands, descending from the Wheel of Stars in Gwynvyd down into the castle of Caer Sidi.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GEDC0012.JPG 
Views:	200 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	44893

Cool stuff...love that lettering on the title. Those towers/mountains are fanciful and original looking.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

I love it, one thing though. Your title, might wanna change the '2011'

Quote Originally Posted by eViLe_eAgLe View Post
    I love it, one thing though. Your title, might wanna change the '2011'
    Oh Shoot! I copied it from the sticky, obviously not paying enough attention, and didn't realize the year was wrong. It won't let me change it now. Maybe one of the Mods or Admins could fix it?

Added a shelf around the island, fiddled with the rivers, added some new details, extra forests, and a nifty Sea Monster!

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	GEDC0036.JPG 
Views:	258 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	44904
    Last edited by Seraphine_Harmonium; 05-17-2012 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Fixing thumbnail tags

Those towers remind me of the Tower of Babel. Looking good so far.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Date is corrected and yes, that does remind me of Tower of Babel as well. I knew there was something familiar!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Date is corrected and yes, that does remind me of Tower of Babel as well. I knew there was something familiar!
    Thank you for that Jaxilon!

As for the "Tower of Babel," Caer Sidi actually does reach all the way into the heavens, so it's not an unwarranted comparison.

### latest wip ###

Name:	IMG_1412.JPG 
Views:	249 
Size:	2.68 MB 
ID:	44914

I am unsure if I should try to color the map, and if so, how I want to do it. In my mind I go between high colored inks, a tea-bag parchment effect, something in between, like parchment edges and label with the sea in blue ink). Or I could just leave it alone.

Tea-bag it! ROFL, sorry I couldn't resist that's just to hilarious in my cartoon brain to pass up.

I know how you feel, I'm wanting to do something like this with mine but sadly the paper I am using won't put up with much so I'm not sure what I can pull off. I think I'm going to experiment with coffee grounds to see how it works before I do anything to my actual map.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt