Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May 2012 Entry: His Majesty's City of Rivermeet

Wip May 2012 Entry: His Majesty's City of Rivermeet

The capitol of the country of Anator in my game world. I'm working on Anator here. The players might reach the capitol just after the end of the month so I might as well have it mapped out. And what better motivator than trying out the challenge?

So far I'm just sketching thumbnails. The final should be ink and watercolor.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rivermeetx00.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	702.8 KB 
ID:	44905

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Looks like a good start!

Wip

Thanks Gidde!

So after several more sketches like the first I settled on a shape for the rivers. My original plan was for the final to be portrait style with East at the top, but I realize all the drawings I did were landscape. Any preferences? Also, I wasn't decided on whether or not labels should be on important locations or if they should just numbered with a key. I'm considering labeling the districts (and maybe the gates) on the map and having all other places numbered.

I'm planning on drawing a few more elements before starting on the final. (Coat of arms, scrolls, scale, a different border, and I'm considering a profile view of the castle)

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	rivermeetx01.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	455.8 KB 
ID:	44911

I think you should put the whole label in there. Rivermt sounds like River Mount in my mind. I like the border style you are planning and I think the whole thing is looking really cool.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Wip

Jaxilon, I just didn't write it out because I'd already practiced the letter 'e' and my hand was cramping . Also I came up with a few different borders but since you liked the first one I'm going with one very similar to it. I'm just replacing the square with a leaf. The square felt too Roman.

After a lot of prep work I've finally started on the final piece. I decided to draw it in a style similar to these: Brussels and London.

I'm considering surrounding the city with canals like brussels though the rivers are closer in size to the Thames (though not quite). It would look something like this:

Name:	rivermeetx02a.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	45025

I'm just not sure if it's actually a reasonable canal system. The one in Brussels looks really weird. So maybe this works? Advice would be appreciated. Otherwise I'm just going to leave out the canals like my earlier sketch.

In terms of drawing I now have a plan of attack. Sketch lightly with pencil, ink, lightly stain the paper, watercolor. It took a couple scrap drawings to figure out what worked. Plain white was too bright for my taste so after staining the paper with tea I baked the sheet. This warps the paper so it increases the risk of blotting the ink (already wasted a sheet working on the border). I did a small drawing of the sun and inked it before baking and since that worked out, that's the order I'm sticking with. Also I ended up carving my own chisel edged "pen" to do the lettering because the ones I had were either too big, grey or filled with non-waterproof ink.

Prep work composite picture:

Name:	rivermeetx02b.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	45026

Lastly in all its pale barely started I don't have a scanner large enough glory:

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	rivermeetx02.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	45027

I'm looking forward to drawing in 1000 tiny houses...twice >_<

Wip

Started drawing in the houses. I've got a long way to go, but this is what I managed today. Hopefully I'll be done with the penciling by tomorrow or early Friday.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	rivermeetx03.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	188.9 KB 
ID:	45050

Wow man. That's a lot of work you got there. It looks like you are on the right track for your goal I'm just flabbergasted as to how you are going to get this all done before the end. I thought I had a long way to go. Not sure about you but I have to work the rest of the week and then I have Comicon over the weekend. I hope you make it as I look forward to seeing the final product.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Thanks Jax. Fortunately I'm a student on break, so this map is my day job for the time being. I really want to finish on time of course, but I may not finish coloring this by Sunday. If I have all the inking done by then I'll be happy though.

These little houses are driving me nuts though. I'm getting better/faster at drawing them as I go along, but it's so monotonous.

Here's what I managed today:

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	rivermeetx04.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	381.7 KB 
ID:	45064

Certain buildings will be getting special attention. I've left space for them but I still haven't designed them. So here's to wrapping up the pencil work by the end of Friday. *crosses fingers*

A bit hard to see this shot but it looks good so far. I think this might be incredible when you complete it.

Quote Originally Posted by flocko View Post
    These little houses are driving me nuts though. I'm getting better/faster at drawing them as I go along, but it's so monotonous.
    That's the joy of city mapping.

Friday wasn't so productive so I just finished the penciling now. Which leaves about a day to do the inking (and painting if I get to it). Cutting it close...

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	rivermeetx05.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	368.5 KB 
ID:	45148

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast