Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The EN World FREE Map Request Thread

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Glad it was useful. Are you using this in a face to face game, or using a VTT?

VTT. Been using OpenRPG for years now. My group is wrapping up their current campaign in a month or two and I get a swing at the plate with the Savage Tide AP. STAP's great, and the web enhancements are jammy for running online, but, they're a bit shy with some basic battlemaps for anything that's extra.

Fair enough. This one was done for use within maptool, another VTT. I have to say I prefer it as they have a lot of vision and light built in now, so my party had a lot of fun running through the forest and hiding behind trees to avoid being shot by guards. I don't know how well OpenRPG handles that sort of stuff, but here's a screenshot of this map in use:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CoveInUse.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	654.1 KB 
ID:	3347

This is the GM view. The players can't see the area that is shown here in darker grey. On mouse-over you get an idea of what Magnus can see, and if there is an enemy behind a tree he won't see them. Equally, it makes figuring out degrees of cover really easy.

How does Maptool handle chat and die rollers though? Within the same program or do I need to have several programs running concurrently? The reason I ask is some of my players are running machines that are ... somewhat past their prime. Open has some bugs, and it's nowhere near as pretty as what you've just posted,but, it's also very robust. And it now handles sound files.

No, maptool has a well developed set of chat and dice functions built in. There are dockable windows for the chat stuff and you can have preprogrammed macros on your tokens to speed up play. We usually have a full set of skill checks, saves and attacks built into the token. The dice stuff can handle most systems as well, and more get added whenever anyone needs to play a particularly bizarre system. At the moment they are also implementing a system for card decks. It doesn't have sound yet.

If you want to see some reviews of Open vs maptool, there is an interesting post here: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=3904

As for older computers, people generally need around 256MB of RAM to run it and ideally avoid diallup connections if you are GMing. I know people run on less than these, but I'd say that's a rough minimum spec to run and have it look pretty.

I see torstan has this well answered. Just as an alternative another excellent VTT is Battlegrounds. It isn't free though, but has an incredibly rich set of features.

If you are interested in at least looking at it you can go here: http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/

I'm not sure what the system requirements and such are though.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12