Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Giant Continent Request

Those are quite good for a starting point. And although this is much too large of a project for me, I'm glad I could give you a useful shove. Here's another...

I bet you could do it yourself.

I found your new version of the regional map. Nice job on it! Good luck with everything. =)
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Guild Novice

Thanks very much, I've used the tutorial of Gidde in that map, actually it's exactly the same style only a different map

I hope you're right, I have made a few attempts to make one, but I suck at the drawing programs (not to mention my incapability of drawing even a straight line )
    They're just too confusing so I tried to make a map with tutorials. But while the regional map tutorials are generally made for begginners like me, the large world map tutorials are mostly for advanced users.

Anyway, thanks for good wishes, I wish you the best of luck with everything, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Helleaven View Post
    I hope you're right, I have made a few attempts to make one, but I suck at the drawing programs (not to mention my incapability of drawing even a straight line

They're just too confusing so I tried to make a map with tutorials. But while the regional map tutorials are generally made for begginners like me, the large world map tutorials are mostly for advanced users.
    I personally stick with Photoshop. The world-designing programs are beyond me. Numbers... not so much. Terminology... I'll get there. =)

=) I rarely draw straight lines. But if you insist... When in Photoshop, and I think Gimp, then holding down the shift key while you draw will give you either a straight vertical or horizontal line, depending on which direction you start moving. Though if you don't want to rely on that, if you want a different direction, or you really care to improve your drawing skills, a good exercise for drawing straight lines and being precise is depicted in this video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6tmUJAv_k8&feature=plcp If the link goes bad for any reason, the creator is sinixdesign and the title is Art Warm Up & Exercises.

And there is another option for getting used to those types of programs (though not directly related to cartography). Looking for tutorials and such on youtube that are aimed at artists. Even if you don't have a tablet, which is extremely useful (and just plain fun they usually give a few pointers for what to use for tools or filters or how to adjust things partway through, etc... and you can get a feel for what works, what doesn't. You can search for a specific program, or try to find a specific technique (might be harder, but depends what your aim is). Some other good people to look for on youtube: moatddtutorials and FZDSCHOOL - I've watched a couple by the first, and most of the videos on FZD's channel; there's definitely some good pickings throughout that one that you could probably use. He talks fast, and repeats a lot of stuff, but it's worth it. And don't be intimidated by his amazing images, he's a professional.

You could probably find some cartography-related-program tutorials on youtube as well. I just haven't looked.

Google Images (or whatever your favorite search engine may be) is wonderful for learning too, if you can pay attention to details. Or here. Here is good. Find a map you like and study it. Notice what everything looks like. The paper of the background, the colors (your examples above are quite subtle and unsaturated), the line work, patterns on the water, icons used for mountains, trees, etc... Notice what the differences are between a world and regional map... You'll get a feel for how it fits together. I found another thread today that mentioned this site: davidrumsey.com (very cool for ideas and such, especially if you want your map to mimic a certain era).
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Guild Novice

I have changed the whole content of the request. I hope now someone decides helping me

Guild Novice

I have found someone willing to help me. Thank you all for your interest, this topic is now reached his goal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12