Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Giant Continent Request

Guild Novice

Help A Giant Continent Request

EDIT: THE REQUEST HAS BEEN CHANGED ENTIRELY

Greetings to All.

I understand that my request was too much for an unpaid one. So I'm changing the request to a much simpler one:

I would be glad if someone could merge these two maps. No artistry, no hard work needed.

Only thing I need is this: These two maps have to be merged (it can be very roughly made, too) , and the white coloured areas in the political map should look like a sea. That's all, if you please

I've made 2 map sketches, one of them is showing political borders. Each race's country has a different colour (such as Dwarwen countries are grey, Human countries are red, etc)
    Every race has a Capitol Homeland Country. (such as Tervón Empire of Humans and Drúlbarak of Dwarves.)
    There are three Free Countries which deny the whole authority thing and they have no ruler, they have no dominant race. (such as Free Lands of Five Cities, Free Lands of Ekvalor.)
    In the middle of the Inland Sea, there is an island country. This is where the Magicians are being educated and trained. This is much more like a military zone or a massive univercity campus. They're fully independent from any other countries.

This is the political map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grenatarion xsxs büyük isim renkli yaz?l?.jpg 
Views:	523 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	46117

And this is the map which shows geographical features.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grenatarion xsxs co?rafi ?ekiller.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	823.2 KB 
ID:	46119

I hope this isn't too much for an unpaid request. If it is still so, I can delete this request completely so don't hesitate to give me feedback.
    Last edited by Helleaven; 06-28-2012 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Change of Request

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Hiya Helleaven! Honestly, I don't think the map you drew is bad at all! While I wish you the best of luck in finding a taker for your request, I'd also like to urge you very strongly to find a tutorial for a style you like and give it a shot! That way if you need changes you can, or you can do the map for your next book in the same style. As a fellow writer, I've found that drawing a new map can be very inspiring for my writing, and vice versa.

Guild Journeyer

Your small scale map looks perfectly adequate for use as a novel-writing tool. What exactly is it that you want a more skilled cartographer to bring to the table besides "looks nicer"? If you are concerned about realistic climates and so forth you can ask for help on the forums.

Guild Novice

Thanks for the replies!

jwbjerk:

Thank you for your reply! The small scale map is enough for me to write the 1st volume of the novel. But the series will be consisted of 6 volumes. What I don't like in the small scale map is that it's like a cartoon, the colours and the mountains and etc... But the story is not so colourful and cheerful. The story is darker and a little gloomy. This map just doesn't fit.

But the request is not about the small scale map, I'm using it right now, but I need the map of the whole continent. And believe it or not, that small map you see there, it took weeks for me to finish it. I just can't imagine how much time I'd need to finish the continent.

Gidde

Thank you Gidde! I've just explained above why I don't like it at all. On the other hand, your Velaedin Empire map! I've fallen in love with that map. That's the style I want my continent's map to be. I'll try to draw it myself and get better via tutorials, but I don't think I can manage it. So maybe someone will take the job eventually, even if nobody doesn't, that's okay. I will keep writing, as a fellow writer (like you've said) I'll be more than happy to discuss with you some ideas. My friends just not interested in fantasy novels, so mostly I am always on my own, arguing with myself on the ideas, it would be nice to hear a different voice than mine.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Well thanks! If that's the style you want, try the Artistically Challenged tutorial in my signature. That's exactly the style it creates. Post up a WIP thread if you get stuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jwbjerk View Post
    Your small scale map looks perfectly adequate for use as a novel-writing tool. What exactly is it that you want a more skilled cartographer to bring to the table besides "looks nicer"? If you are concerned about realistic climates and so forth you can ask for help on the forums.
    Just to point out, you're getting "small scale" backwards. In cartography jargon, "small scale" means "things are drawn small" not "small area is covered". The area covered is the "extent" of a map and generally scale and extent have an inverse relationship. Small scale means large extent, and vis versa.

Hey there!
    If I weren't so busy right now, I'd probably jump in and draw. =(

One thing I'll point out, tentatively--because I'm not positive... but I think that when you have a really massive continent, like what you're aiming for, much of it will be desert. Unless, of course, it's magical. But, prevailing winds, rain patterns, etc...

When rain hits tall mountains, most, if not all, of the water runs back down the near side of the hill, and the other side of the mountain range gets the rain shadow (little/no rain) so it's extremely dry. Look at the Amazon basin; it gets all the rain from the Atlantic, the mountain range stops it, and parts of the western spit of land on the other side of them are about the driest places you can find on Earth. Himalayas, too. Your inland sea might survive, if the mountains surrounding it hold its rain water in. Seasonal changes in weather patterns would probably make some of the outer/far-side areas a bit more fertile than a sand box, but... Drat. I can't remember the tutorial or website where I learned all this. Perhaps someone else on here knows what's what.

That "small scale" jargon. That is so confusing. Good luck with the map making, and climate patterns.

Oh, also... The location of your continent in relation to the equator of your world is a factor. If it's on the equator then you'd likely get rain from more directions and so it'd be wetter all around. If it's in one hemisphere, near a pole, not so much.
    Last edited by Chashio; 06-07-2012 at 11:23 AM.

Guild Novice

Hi Chashio! I was about to lose hope in getting someone's attention

I wish you weren't busy and we could get this done together, but hey, there is no time limit so feel free to contribute anything anytime

Thanks for the reply and advice about the deserts I'm not much of a topographer so I don't exactly know how the geographical features suppose to be. But you're right, if anyone is willing to take this challenge, he/she can add some desert areas in a few places. But I planned much of this continent to be like europe; the climate, the fauna and flora, etc. As far as I know Europe doesn't have a desert. As you travel south, the climate will be hotter and will become like mediterrenean and the southermost parts of the continent can have a few deserts

The equator is placed beneath the continent.The continent is located a few parallels above the Equator line in the northern hemisphere. Southern hemisphere is empty; just a vast ocean.

I'm counting on the artist's imagination about the details. In fact, I don't expect the map to be very detailed, just the most obvious features and the countries with their borders.

You learn a thing or two when you start looking. That's about as much as I know.

If you want someone to include countries with border lines, you'll need to provide a much larger sketch with a rough layout of their names and placement on the continent. And if they're dependent on specific natural features like mountain ranges, rivers, forests, etc, then you'll want to include some sort of guideline of description for them... drawn and/or written. You've already written a large portion of your book, yes? And you have ideas drifting through your imagination about the larger world, and types of people living in different parts of it, yes? So as many details as you can give up front would be helpful, in order that it ends up looking like what you have in mind. Unless you want to be as surprised as your character will be when he walks off the edge of a very large cliff that wasn't there yesterday. =)

Guild Novice

Chashio, you have been a great help, thank you After spending many many hours to make a sketch of my political map and the map that shows geographic features, I think I finally managed to do something like you've said.

I DO NOT EXPECT SOMETHING SO DETAILED OR SO HUGE, JUST SOMETHING LOOKS NICE WITH THE MOST OBVIOUS FEATURES.

I just want to be able to show it to my friends and family, and say that this is the world I created.

Thank you for everybody who reads these posts Chashio, thank you for giving me the push to finish my political map sketch...

I will wait till someone decides to help me finish this project and I promise that your efforts will not be in vain. If my book is to be published, your name will be all over it and of course as soon as I get paid you'll get paid too. But for now, like I've said above, this is just an amatuer work, so please, any contribute will be gladly accepted.

Thank you for renewing my hope Chashio
    Last edited by Helleaven; 06-28-2012 at 08:54 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast