Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Castle Plans

Well there you go then. To my benefit it has been over 20 years since I bothered studying castles. Thanks for the great links! The images are coming up fine for me.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    No really - I kid you not... it seems odd to me but this is as it comes out of the camera.
    Oh, I believed you. I learned long ago for every rule there is an exception.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I was just thinking about something like this (sorry it's very quick and dirty)
    That's interesting but not really what I was after. On the other hand... goes off to think about it.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

The main point was the colour desaturation, but it looks like you've attended to that already. The supporting butresses I've put in look horrid, but I was thinking more along the lines of something to just break up that perfectly circular shape a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    I did a lot of research on Stairs and whatnot for Castle, and the majority of Stairs were Clockwise as they went down.

The reasons were manyfold, most being that a Defender could be relatively unhampered on their sword arm for swinging (not needing to worry about a wall). For narrow stairs, (like those pictured) the enabled a defender to have a wall to their left, put their shield in front, and then be able to swing to their right towards the centre of the stair, and swing over and above a defender.

<snip>
    Also, it just occured to me that the width of the steps in a spiral staircase are much smaller towards the axis. So it makes sense the push the attacker towards the axis which gives him less sure footing.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    The main point was the colour desaturation, but it looks like you've attended to that already. The supporting butresses I've put in look horrid, but I was thinking more along the lines of something to just break up that perfectly circular shape a bit.
    Thanks for the tips, but it was the circular shape that first attracted me to this castle design and that's what I was after. Restormel castle left such an impression on me that I knew I had to have something similar for my AD&D game. It will probably be a local Lord's keep on the border. I still need to find the time to do the 2nd floor and the cellar/dungeon.
    Cheers,
    Tim

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Ah, Caernarfon and Conwy Castle. It has been some time since I went there on a school exchange trip.
    Two in harmony surpass one in perfection

It has been a while since I worked on this map. I started working on the 2nd level and misfortune struck. A bit of carelessness on my part (I accidentally hit the save button after resizing the image) + a power outage = I lost the full size map! Grrrr....

Here's what I had:

Now I have to rebuild the map from scratch unless anyone has any suggestions for resizing the map without losing any image quality.

Oh well, I've decided to take a break and work on an old school Castle Ruins map to help rejuvenate my spirits. Here's the first draft (I still have a lot of work to do):

Cheers,
    Tim

Blog Entries

I was reading the outline post in my inbox thinking ohh bad and I doubt it but after seeing this map image I think that you might be able to do it as its more of a diagram than a photo.

You will need to separate the parts of the map into their own bits. Then taking one - say the black you need to resize it using almost any algo up to full size and beyond - say twice the required. Then blur it a lot and then use contrast or better color curves to get the shape back again. Not 100% contrast but say 80%. Do that for each part and use them as masks to put the texture back in. I'll see if I can post an example.

Its not as good as the original but its better than a straight resample.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Temp.png 
Views:	184 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	5083  
    Last edited by Redrobes; 07-10-2008 at 04:58 AM.

Thanks for the tip, Redrobes. I'll look into that.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast