Thread: Maps from Freelancer Movie ??

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected ranger's Avatar

Question Maps from Freelancer Movie ??

That movie that flopped...had some neat ideas and great props. In the intro to the movie though they were talking about the pilgrims, and they had starcharts that looked like they were done in old school style. I really liked these maps, I would love to duplicate this but they are not quite clear enough in the intro to give a good idea of the full sheets. Has anyone made old school maps of stars similar to old ocean maps? (i believe this is what they were in that intro)

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

I guess you meant the Wing Commander movie.

LOL, I was wondering the same thing because there is some 50 cent/DeNiro movie out as well by that name. Not much for maps in that I don't imagine
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected ranger's Avatar

lol yes Wing commander, beginning credits.... man my brain is slow today

There was a challenge entry a while back that was a planetary chart in a very cool antique-like style. I can't remember for the life of me whose it was, but I think that month's challenge was all sci-fi, so it shouldn't be too hard to narrow it down if you go looking for it.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    There was a challenge entry a while back that was a planetary chart in a very cool antique-like style. I can't remember for the life of me whose it was, but I think that month's challenge was all sci-fi, so it shouldn't be too hard to narrow it down if you go looking for it.
    I think you might be talking about my map from the Planetary Survey Challenge. A Planisphere of Her Majesty's Martian Colony

It's not really any more a star map than a map of Earth is, though it does have a little bit of information on orbits in the insets. The stereographic projection it uses is used for real star maps, but they are intended for finding objects from a relatively fixed location (like Earth), not for navigation between stars.

Nope, that's not the one. Lemme see if I can dig it up…
    Here's one in a sort of Victorian style, but I don't think it's the one I was thinking of: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...hlight=orbital
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name