Thread: Lands of Cresia (WIP pictures)

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected 12rounds's Avatar

Default Lands of Cresia (WIP pictures)

My first ever fantasy mapping project. Done from scratch.

I've been doing some character illustrations for the CWBP project, but as it appears pretty much a dead project, I started thinking that maybe I'll try my hands on mapping. My goal is to create a continent wherein I will detail some areas more closely and where some of my character illustrations will be placed. The WIP images here are scaled down. The original is about 3500x2400 pixels in size.

This was the starting point. Just outlining the land masses and detailing water depths.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cresia_wip_start.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	391.4 KB 
ID:	44987

Phase 2 was giving the land masses a base look.

Name:	cresia_wip_landmass.jpg 
Views:	706 
Size:	488.9 KB 
ID:	44988

Phase 3 was finishing the rough terrain features of the continent. Some glaciers have expanded into sea which I tried depicting by showing the land mass lines underneath.

Name:	cresia_wip_all.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	593.0 KB 
ID:	44989

Here's a simple example of one area without downscaling:

Name:	cresia_wip_detail.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	173.8 KB 
ID:	44990

The continent of Cresia is located in the northern hemisphere of the planet. It takes a rough one fifth of the total land mass of the whole planet. The planet has only a slight axis tilt and so the northern areas of the planet are permanently frozen and the equatorial region is uninhabitable due to heat. The areas depicted in the map fall between latitudes that are habitable to humans - burning deserts in the southern areas closer to equatorial regions and permanent mile high glaciers in the northern areas closer to the polar region.

Next steps are to finish the legend, name the lands and create a compass rose. Then I'll detail the regional borders, biggest cities etc on the map. After that I'll start refining smaller areas.

This mapping thing is ... jolly fun! I'd appreciate some ideas and thoughts.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Welcome to the mappers side of life 12rounds and YES, Yes it IS!!

Looks great actually.

My main suggestion would be to tone down the double line off the coast. As it is, it kinda makes me want to find my glasses....looks a bit blurry...if that makes any sense...

I do like the textures too

nice work, and have some Rep for your first map
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

You are right Korash on the blurring of the coastal double line. When I scaled down the map, the coastal double line was obviously too close and blurred nastily. I'll probably ditch it completely later on. Also I think that my map scale needs rethinking as well....

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I don't see why you would need to mod the scale....as is it is a bit wider than Canada (~1500 wider) and I think as long as North and South America. This would make the planet about a third larger (off the top of my head) than earth...

as for the coastal lines...just lower the opacity...or make it lighter
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Nicely done 12rounds.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Some progress.

I chose a font and named the bigger bodies of water and countries. Drafts of rivers too. Rivers are going to be altered later.

Name:	cresia_wip_naming.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	672.8 KB 
ID:	45013

And here are the countries represented by areas they control.

Name:	cresia_wip_countries.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	641.8 KB 
ID:	45014

I chose to rethink the scaling as well, the coastal lines are redone and also generally raised mountains to generate a little bit more snow tipped mountain tops.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Coming along quite nicely...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very nice style, really easy on the eyes - keep it up!

This is a closer map of the kingdom of Akron located in the mid-region of Cresia.
    Still a wip map since I need to work more on the rivers etc., but this is pretty much the style and effect I'm after. This a cropped image (about half of the original) and scaled down to 50%.

Name:	akron_close_wip.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	374.6 KB 
ID:	45129

EDIT:
    Getting closer to a finished map. 50% scaled down again. I whipped up the compass rose and applied it to the bigger scale map as well.
    The rose has a scorpion in the center: that's because in my world, scorpion is the symbol of Calishem and the map makers of my world are from Calishem.

Name:	akron_rc.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	675.2 KB 
ID:	45153
    Last edited by 12rounds; 05-27-2012 at 05:46 AM.