Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Elyden map

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Any news on this part of the Fictioverse?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

thanks for the interest, though no, not yet. still struggling to find a key that im happy with and combing the internet for new fonts to see if i can find something better for the areas. Dafont.com has far too many fonts for its own good

Well I think it’s time I call this one done, at least for the purposes of producing a ‘finished version’ on this site.

This map is something of a work-map for me and my worldbuilding. As I add more history to the world and detail regions, I’ll invariably come back to the original PSD and edit it. Much like the real world, the world of Elyden is very much a living place (ok, starting to sound crazy here but I’d like to think I’m amongst fellow worldbuilders here who know what I mean…), so the PSD will never truly be done, but there’s a time to call things a day. I could spend ages tinkering with colour adjustments and whatnot, though I’m happy with this for now.

I’m posting a low-quality jpg here (4.4 mb – the original flattened image is about 75 mb, so a lot of detail was lots in the compression) to show the current state, though I’ll keep on updating this thread as I make any changes to the original map. Any feedback is more than welcome and a lot of the changes I’ve already made to this are thanks to constructive feedback, so please let me know if there’s anything you don’t like or any mistakes you notice. Well I think it’s time I call this one done, at least for the purposes of producing a ‘finished version’ on this site. I'm also going to post a finished map thread in which I'll. Divide the map into quarter for a bit more detail.

This map is something of a work-map for me and my worldbuilding. As I add more history to the world and detail regions, I’ll invariably come back to the original PSD and edit it. Much like the real world, the world of Elyden is very much a living place (ok, starting to sound crazy here but I’d like to think I’m amongst fellow worldbuilders here who know what I mean…), so the PSD will never truly be done, but there’s a time to call things a day. I could spend ages tinkering with colour adjustments and whatnot, though I’m happy with this for now.

I’m posting a low-quality jpg here (4.4 mb – the original flattened image is about 75 mb, so a lot of detail was lots in the compression) to show the current state, though I’ll keep on updating this thread as I make any changes to the original map. Any feedback is more than welcome and a lot of the changes I’ve already made to this are thanks to constructive feedback, so please let me know if there’s anything you don’t like or any mistakes you notice.

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Klaus van der Kroft's Avatar

Truly spectacular. It is a joy seeing it finished.

It doesn't just look good; it really feels like an exotic, mysterious ancient Middle Eastern world.

If you ever decide to upload the full version, I would indeed enjoy checking it out.

As I previously said, this is by far one of my favourite maps.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

It have become One of my alltime favorites here! Congratulations.
    If you ever decide to write an cOmpendium about the World give me a Note and i buy it!

thanks

here's a version you can zoom into, though the detail is still reduced from the original.

EDIT: and the finished map thread is here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WEB SMALL - inner sea - map.jpg 
Views:	1009 
Size:	4.16 MB 
ID:	47490  
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 08-13-2012 at 02:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    It have become One of my alltime favorites here! Congratulations.
    If you ever decide to write an cOmpendium about the World give me a Note and i buy it!
    haha! thanks. actually that's the main goal, and this map is just something to help me do that. I'd like to do a world atlas at some point...

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Beautiful, beautiful work. I LOVE IT.

Simply magnificent. Just spent the last hour reading the thread from the start... only one left in the building now! Repworthy indeed!
    Tigon Ologdring
    Worldbuilder, Shieldsmith and Bannerman of Midnight

lol, thanks!

I just found a pretty blatant mistake - the map border on the bottom of the page is missing a 5degree mark on the graticule. That's been fixed now.

Other than that I've already started tinkering again, adding more locations to regions away from the Inner Sea, as they're looking a bit bare compared to some other regions. Guess this shows the work is never really complete!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast