Thread: Elyden map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Map Elyden map

Hi all, I've been a lurker round here for some years now and come back here every so often to look at the gorgeous Cartographers' choice maps and some great tutorials (yes, I too took my first stumbling steps in photoshop under the aegis of the Saederan tutorial - now im a certified ACE in PS5 ), though thought its about time i posted one of my own maps on here.

Im primarily a worldbuilder and the maps i make are mostly intended for my own use, though over the past mopnths I've come to enjoy making the maps almost as much as writing the background and history for my world. This is an old map (version 3.0, I'd say) of the main continents of my world, Elyden. Im currently working on the latest iteration which is somewhat larger - at 300 dpi and 4' x 6', it's a beast, though my goal is to print it out and hang on the wall of my geeky den so i can look at it witha glass of cold cider in one hand and feel proud :p.

This is a low-res jpeg of the original map which has many layers in psd format. The new version of the map has changed somewhat (changing rhumb lines for lat/long for a start, and changing the border for something more classiacal, as well as changing the scale to concentrate more on the main sea (the Inner Sea, to anyone interested) and if anyone wants to see a snippet of the newer WIP version i can post a pic, though it'll be a long time until i complete it as im writing nation histroies as i go along, and am about 1/3 done after about 6-months of work. The mountains are just individual hill brushes (i have about 20 in all) which i choose one at a time, though once the main map is done ill draw over them manually with my wacom.

Please give C&C as ive been working along for most of this time and outside opinions would be much appreceated,

thanks

EDIT: i managed to upload a higher res version of the new map as well as a cropped version of the one above (minus grunge), centered around an area I call the arid Triptych
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arid triptych small.jpg 
Views:	1028 
Size:	3.37 MB 
ID:	45000   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NEW - inner sea - map.jpg 
Views:	1434 
Size:	3.97 MB 
ID:	45001  
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 05-22-2012 at 01:21 AM.