Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thraalion - World map done in CC3

Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    Great artwork but I'm afraid I really don't like the font, mainly because it's hard to read.

From a physics point of view it seems extremely unlikely that a tidally locked world could support life, mainly because on one side the atmosphere would literally freeze and precipitate onto the ground (eg the dark side of tidally locked Mercury has gaseous ice deposits, even though it's so close to the sun), and on the sunward side all the atmospheric water would be stripped away. Even if this wasn't the case, there wouldn't be sufficient plant and animal life to maintain a balanced atmosphere with oxygen and CO2 suitable for human life.

But it's a nice fantasy idea - perhaps the habitable zones are protected by a kind of magical barrier? How would their society have evolved to live in constant twilight?
    The story of the world, or more precisely the worlds, is that in the beginning the true god created the real world Elimo. To help him in this project he created seven smaller gods called Archonts. They all betrayed the true god, killed him and created seven worlds of their own from the true gods body, one for each Archont. But the Archonts couldn't create life themselves so all their creations and everything there in where just bleak copies of the original work. In all the seven worlds the finest creation where the humanoids that the Archonts created as copies of themselves, just as the true god had made the lightbringers in Elimo as copies of him. But the copying of entities from the original world made cracks in the creation and the borderlands where created, a space of nothing and everything that exist between the worlds. Through the borderlands the humanoids learned to travel between the worlds and in the end it lead to the great war between the Archonts and their creation. The war ended with the fall of the archonts and the humanoids civilisation and the whole creation was threatened to follow down the same road. But the Lightbringers from the original world left their home and went to all the seven worlds and healed them to the cost of never being able to return home. But they couldn't completely heal them, all seven worlds are still more or less scared. Thrallion for example has one side of the world burning and the other frozen to ice in eternal darkness. So in my fantasy settings there isn't really any tidally locked world, the inspiration just comes from it
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Actually, in a world where one side was very warm (burning) and the other very cold (completely frozen over), there would be a huge heat dissipation in the form of stormwinds between the two. The whole region where you place a civilization would constantly be blazed by storms the size of continents - not a very nice place to live indeed!

Apart from that, if I understand your compass rose correctly, the part of the world you're centering on is the north pole. If that's the case, all directions outward would be south, not just two of the four. In fact, going west would mean you'd be going in a clockwise circle around the north pole, going east would be going around in a counterclockwise fashion. Since there really isn't a north pole on a tidally locked world (there being no axis around which the planet revolves), I think a more logical separation would be something like Night (the freezing side of the planet), Day (the burning side), Dusk and Dawn (both directions perpendicular to the Night-Day line). That would lead to awesome expressions like "Ranunculus was a two-day trip Dawnward from Lotos, with amazing views Nightward on the Sea of ... (etc)", or "the Duskbound ship leaves port in three hours!" *

All in all, I really like your map, and the concept of eternal night, eternal day better than my remarks above might seem to say, and I hope some of those remarks are helpful!

(* what I come to think of now is: how do you measure time on a world that doesn't revolve? It'd only make one rotation around its axis in a year's time, so even the stars would be useless! Interesting to look into, right?)
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Caenwyr, thanks for your input. I must admit that when I made the map i didn't think so much about the consequences a tidally locked world would have to the environment, I just thought it was a cool idea. But the more I think of it the more intrigued I get. The idea you have with switching North and south to Dawn and Dusk etc is brilliant. I think I borrow that, if it's ok
    My finished maps

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

It'd be an honor
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Yes that was interesting to read. Your concept reminds me of the gnostic background of the Kult RPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    Yes that was interesting to read. Your concept reminds me of the gnostic background of the Kult RPG.
    Well Kult is actually an old Swedish RPG and even though I didn't play it I've read it so a thing or two might have got stuck in my head. But mainly I'm stealing my ideas when it comes to religion and world creation from early christianity and the gnostics, with a good portion of old Rome/greece in there.
    My finished maps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12