Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thraalion - World map done in CC3

Default Thraalion - World map done in CC3

Here is a map made in the 2012 April Annual style. The map is of the world Thraalion, one of the seven worlds in my Etrakien setting and the fourth one i'm mapping. I've had the idea of the world for a while since I read a report of a planet in space that always had one side facing the sun. So in Thraalion one side is burning under the constant sun, the other side is always dark and frozen. Between these two extremes there is a thin area with inhabitable conditions.

The map is edited in Photoshop a bit, mostly to see how it turned out. I also used a font from Terraformer_Author over at Profantasy's forum in the map.

Hope you like it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thraalion.jpg 
Views:	1251 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	45012  
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Looks cool! The sea texture is a bit overpowering, though. Pulls my eyes away from the land.

I love the idea - it's such an awesome concept.

Have you researched at all what constant sun would do to one side of a planet? I don't know, but it would interesting because I would imagine it to be a scorched wasteland, but I don't think it would be on fire - there wouldn't be anything to burn. I may be wrong.

I agree with Gidde on the sea. It's a bit too light in colour, I think, or too green or something.

Also, I think it looks great, but more labeling of physical features (seas, mountain ranges, etc.) would make it look more impressive.

Thanks for the comments. No I haven't done any research on how this kind of planet would behave if it was a real planet. But I think a burning side sounds much more fantasy then just a very hot and desolate place.
    The missing names on mountains anf seas is just me being lazy. This was mostly a map I made for testing so I decided to make the labeling quite simple.
    My finished maps

Nicely done. I also really like the font you've chosen. It is a good fit with this style.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Great map, amazing texture. I loved the concept, and the burning side is awesome! You made a great job.

Thanks for the comments. It is a really great style from this years Annual for CC3. I must say that it is in the styles from the Annuals that CC3 really start to shine. And the styles seems to get better and better all the time.
    My finished maps

Wow, I really like the concept! I would love to see more maps of this world. Again, great use of the style. The editing you've done in photoshop also adds to the map. Makes it mor original I suppose.

Thanks, who knows but I mainly map in my Etrakien world, that is a sister/brother world to this one.
    My finished maps

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Great artwork but I'm afraid I really don't like the font, mainly because it's hard to read.

From a physics point of view it seems extremely unlikely that a tidally locked world could support life, mainly because on one side the atmosphere would literally freeze and precipitate onto the ground (eg the dark side of tidally locked Mercury has gaseous ice deposits, even though it's so close to the sun), and on the sunward side all the atmospheric water would be stripped away. Even if this wasn't the case, there wouldn't be sufficient plant and animal life to maintain a balanced atmosphere with oxygen and CO2 suitable for human life.

But it's a nice fantasy idea - perhaps the habitable zones are protected by a kind of magical barrier? How would their society have evolved to live in constant twilight?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast