Thread: First Map WIP

Guild Novice

Wip First Map WIP

Hey all, I have been experimenting and browsing this site for quite a while and have learned a wealth of knowledge. I finally have a map that I like after all my experimenting with different techniques.

It's not finished. I am still working on map symbols and naming, but wanted to post and get some feed back.

Thanks
    Nemasis

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map_wip.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	3.91 MB 
ID:	45040
    Last edited by nemasis; 05-23-2012 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Attach Map

Hi Nemasis, there have been some problems here about people posting links to attack sites. Would you mind uploading your image directly via the image upload button? Thanks.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice

Thanks for the heads up Arsheesh. Post has been updated.

Nemasis

No Problem. I'd say this is looking fairly good, especially for a first map. It looks as if you've toned down the layer opacity for the mountain bump-map. I actually think that the map would be improved if you increased the layer opacity a bit more. As it stands, given the way you've blended the textures, there isn't a very clear delineation of mountains and forests. Otherwise, I think it's looking pretty good.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I love the Mystic Forest of Awesome. I think the castle symbol is a bit of a mismatch with the textured terrain. They might look ok if you shrink them, though. The dots for cities look great, they have good contrast and don't steal the spotlight from the terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice, love the textures!

Guild Novice

The names at this point are just place holders. I also agree that the castle symbol is too much. In my current iteration I have them reduced, but they still don't look right; I may remove them all together and find something different. I also have different symbols right, just black diamonds with a little glow. However I may go back to the dots and just reduce the size. As far as the mountain texture, it was an experiment I was doing combining a moss texture and a rock texture. It turned out nice, but doesn't work so well for this application. I will be changing out the mountain texture

This is going to be a map for a yet unnamed/undeveloped story. I wanted to do map first to spark ideas about a story and how the geography could play a role.

This is the latest iteration. Changes:
    Symbols
    Fonts
    Oceans (not sure it it fits with the map style)

Thanks for the comments all!
    Nemasis

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map-wip-2.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	4.54 MB 
ID:	45061