Thread: Tiwi Islands - Call the River Police!

Default Tiwi Islands - Call the River Police!

In my ongoing mapping for the books for Expedition 360 - the first human-powered circumnavigation of the world I just drafted up Jason's route through Indonesia, from Darwin, Australia to Singapore.

After leaving Darwin, Jason peddled through Apsley Straight, through the middle of the Tiwi Islands. I'll let a map do the talking (from mediawiki):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tiwi_Islands.png 
Views:	324 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	44126

Apsley Straight is between 550 metres and 5 km wide, and 62 km long.

Love that current! From a boating guide I found, The currents run at up to 4 knots on spring tides with the flood tide running south, and the ebb tide running north.

-Rob A>

You can mess with a whole lot of the rules when you're working with islands in an epeiric ocean!

My God, that false colour image of the sea is amazing! :O

Wow! I can't believe I just recognized the island in your picture... (Am using it as inspiration for one of my own map WIP). I thought it was actually Bathurst Island, Northern Territory, AU (name reference from Google Earth)??
    To hire me for graphic design or web development, visit my website KatSkinner.com. It's my virtual home away from my physical domain.
    To read my novels, and follow writing tips and other tutorials visit my website Ervirath.com .