Thread: WIP First Map

Default WIP First Map

A few days ago I got it into my head that I should make a map for my custom setting. I found your forum and found alot of handy tips and tricks that made all of it alot easier to start with. I had a bit of photoshop experience, but not alot.

To be done: More roads, more cities, rivers, ...

I'd love some critique and helpful advice. (disregard the names, these are just placeholders)

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Looking good so far! That's one of my favorite fonts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Looking good so far! That's one of my favorite fonts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh, thank you! Your guide was an amazing help when starting out, by the way, thank you for that aswell!

Indeed looking very nice.
    Are you going to apply some kind of texture to the land? If not, you might want to consider changing the way the regional labels are done. Personally, I find the outline-only version rather hard to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Freodin View Post
    Indeed looking very nice.
    Are you going to apply some kind of texture to the land? If not, you might want to consider changing the way the regional labels are done. Personally, I find the outline-only version rather hard to read.
    This might be because of the size of the picture. In the 100% size one it's quite easy to read. I am considering changing some of the labels around either way, but I can't seem the find the right way to do them on a black-and-white map.

Welcome to the Guild Crossbuilder! This is looking pretty good so far. I agree with Gidde that you have chosen your fonts well. Usually I don't think that it is a good idea to combine hand drawn features (and icons) with patterns or fractal clouds since the two styles usually don't complement one another. But in a black and white piece like what you've done with the sea seams to work alright.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Small update, added some roads and more cities.

Again, all advice or criticism is welcome. I'm particularly stuck on one part. The part called "The Dead Marshes" is supposed to be just a barren, lifeless wasteland in my setting. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I should visualize this on my map? The roads are supposed to be long gone, but I'm considering adding them anyways since the map has this awkward empty spot now. (probably changing my typography around a bit too before I declare the map finished, alot of work still to be done)