Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: How Would I Go About Deciding on a Scale?

  1. #1
    Guild Novice FoxtrotAnonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    New York State
    Posts
    12

    Default How Would I Go About Deciding on a Scale?

    I'm just a bit curious on how I would choose a particular scale for my map. I'm not what you would call an "expert" on cartography and geography, so I'm seeking some guidance! I've attached an image of my map to see if anyone has a suggestion...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map-Project.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	559.7 KB 
ID:	45059

  2. #2
    Guild Novice Facebook Connected
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Foxtrot,

    I was wondering the same thing for one of my maps a couple of weeks ago. Your map reminds we a lot of the Eastern Med, around Lebanon, Israel, and Northeastern Africa. That might be a good place to start for scale.

  3. #3
    Guild Adept Freodin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by libraryian View Post
    Your map reminds we a lot of the Eastern Med, around Lebanon, Israel, and Northeastern Africa.
    Exactly my thoughts... must be something to it.

    I found it helpful to start looking at real-world maps, taking note of the size of features - lengths of rivers, expanse of mountain ranges, distances between cities - and then decide on how large the area covered by my map should be.

    And BTW... that is a very nice map you have there!

  4. #4
    Guild Novice FoxtrotAnonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    New York State
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by libraryian View Post
    Foxtrot,

    I was wondering the same thing for one of my maps a couple of weeks ago. Your map reminds we a lot of the Eastern Med, around Lebanon, Israel, and Northeastern Africa. That might be a good place to start for scale.
    I'll have to delve into some maps of that area, then! Thank you for the suggestion!

    Quote Originally Posted by Freodin View Post
    Exactly my thoughts... must be something to it.

    I found it helpful to start looking at real-world maps, taking note of the size of features - lengths of rivers, expanse of mountain ranges, distances between cities - and then decide on how large the area covered by my map should be.

    And BTW... that is a very nice map you have there!
    I agree, I'll have to take some quick measurements of those traits and compare/contrast to real-world maps and such. I suppose I could also have a look at some much older maps, possibly of the Eastern Mediterranean. Thank you for the tips! And also thanks for the compliment, it means a lot!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •