Thread: How Would I Go About Deciding on a Scale?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How Would I Go About Deciding on a Scale?

I'm just a bit curious on how I would choose a particular scale for my map. I'm not what you would call an "expert" on cartography and geography, so I'm seeking some guidance! I've attached an image of my map to see if anyone has a suggestion...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map-Project.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	559.7 KB 
ID:	45059

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Foxtrot,

I was wondering the same thing for one of my maps a couple of weeks ago. Your map reminds we a lot of the Eastern Med, around Lebanon, Israel, and Northeastern Africa. That might be a good place to start for scale.

Quote Originally Posted by libraryian View Post
    Your map reminds we a lot of the Eastern Med, around Lebanon, Israel, and Northeastern Africa.
    Exactly my thoughts... must be something to it.

I found it helpful to start looking at real-world maps, taking note of the size of features - lengths of rivers, expanse of mountain ranges, distances between cities - and then decide on how large the area covered by my map should be.

And BTW... that is a very nice map you have there!

Quote Originally Posted by libraryian View Post
    Foxtrot,

I was wondering the same thing for one of my maps a couple of weeks ago. Your map reminds we a lot of the Eastern Med, around Lebanon, Israel, and Northeastern Africa. That might be a good place to start for scale.
    I'll have to delve into some maps of that area, then! Thank you for the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by Freodin View Post
    Exactly my thoughts... must be something to it.

I found it helpful to start looking at real-world maps, taking note of the size of features - lengths of rivers, expanse of mountain ranges, distances between cities - and then decide on how large the area covered by my map should be.

And BTW... that is a very nice map you have there!
    I agree, I'll have to take some quick measurements of those traits and compare/contrast to real-world maps and such. I suppose I could also have a look at some much older maps, possibly of the Eastern Mediterranean. Thank you for the tips! And also thanks for the compliment, it means a lot!