Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Middle Earth, by JRR Tolkien

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    hydewire: You should be aware that the Tolkien Estate is rather aggressive with regard to its intellectual property enforcement. If you are looking to release a board game based in Middle Earth, make sure you address the licensing before spending any money on assets.
    Good information !
    Btw I have toyed (and still do) with the idea to create a realistic Middle Earth planet. So not only the known part like Eriador etc but the whole planet.
    Do you think that creating such a realistic style planet would fall Under copyright too ?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Of course it will, J.R.R Tolkien's creation, including all the lore he developed isn't in public domain and not free to use.

Someone did apparently persuade them that it wasn't worthwhile to go after noncommercial fan art/fiction, so things like the Middle Earth DEM project appear to be safe. As far as I am aware, though, Tolkien Enterprises has not published any sort of official fan art policy, so in a technical legal sense, it's all against the law.

And since we're here, licensing information is available here: // Middle-earth Enterprises //
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Blog Entries

Could I offer the newer web site for MeDem. The old one had the forum but it basically broke after we had no admin support for a long time and then we got a new domain and put the new work there.

MeDEM - The Middle Earth Digital Elevation Model Project

The galleries are in much better shape there. I would suggest the Outerra Biomes pages for the latest pics.

If DeadShade wants to play in the MeDem world then head over to

Outerra

to grab the engine and datasets.

I agree that at any time MeDem could be hit with the C&Ds and we would pull it. But its a free, non commercial, no ads, no funding whatsoever little project. Obviously any fan who does anything in ME runs the risk. But a board game for sale would almost certainly need some kind of licensing.

There is a new forum for content creation within the DEM for the world.

Outerra Worlds Forums - Index

But that hasnt seen much activity for a while since Monks and I are not currently working on it.

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    If DeadShade wants to play in the MeDem world then head over to

Outerra

to grab the engine and datasets.

Ah well this looks like a dream ! That's exactly the kind of things I would like to do .
    Unfortunately it also looks like a full time job
    But many thanks for the information , I ignored all about Outerra. Perhaps one day ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12