Thread: Rhila circa 23758

Guild Novice

Wip Rhila circa 23758

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rhila.png 
Views:	256 
Size:	765.8 KB 
ID:	45161
    I have been working on this world for about 14 years now, but have only now got around to rehauling the map after my Great Data Loss of 2006.

Thus far, I have belabored the projection (I chose the Winkle-Triple, but I can't remember why), deleted a handful of attempts in both Photoshop and Illustrator.

My current goals on this map are to finish the mountains sometime within the reasonable future, and to divide the top continent into a more generalized island configuration.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

You probably picked WT because A) Nat Geo uses it and B) it has the least visible distortion of all the projections, at the cost of nothing being quite accurate (it "looks right")

The basic land shapes look good, but the coastlines look a little regular in their squiggliness. Other than that, looking good so far!

Blog Entries

As Gidde said, the fractal dimension is too consistent. It's also really rather high.

Also, the polar ice packs don't match the projection. The straight lines at the top and bottom of the map are the poles. That is, the entire line is the point at the pole stretched out. So with the edges of your ice packs touching those lines, it means your ice packs are offset from the poles at precisely the right angle so that their edges hit the poles, and so that they are both offset along precisely the same meridian.

Take a look at Antarctica in this map http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...projection.jpg

Note how the coastline of Antarctica touches the sides (the 180° Meridian) and meets it at the same parallel on both sides. That's what a shape properly containing a pole looks like in Winkel Tripel.

Guild Novice

Thank you, both of you! I have a dot matrix in the working folder with the way the landmasses and distances are distorted, and there's a good chance your reasoning is sound!

Many of the land protuberances seem to have been eaten during the transition to Illustrator. That, or they got cut because they managed to look less-than-vaguely obscene. There seem to be some brilliant tutorials on achieving realistic coastlines on this forum, so I won't be at a loss for examples and resources (although Photoshop seems much more prevalent than Illustrator).

Thank you for the advice on the poles, and thank you for identifying what my misconception was.

Hopefully, I'll have a revised version sometime in the next few days!

Guild Novice

Attachment 47612

Spent a few days working on Balora (to the north). I haven't finished 'desquiggling' the eastern continent of Trawen just yet, but that is on my list.

I'm working on color schemes, being none-too-happy with this one.

Guild Novice

Wip Style Morph

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rhila.png 
Views:	156 
Size:	4.09 MB 
ID:	47614

So, yeah... more adjustments. I'm ditching my concept of a colored map and am going with a monochrome. Here's hoping that this gels a little better.

Trawen now makes me want to rip my eyes out. -.-

Blog Entries

The compass really isn't appropriate with the Winkel Tripel projection. A compass rose indicates that bearings are preserved, and , Winkel Tripel doesn't do that, only Mercator does at small scales like this.

Guild Novice

Thank you, Hai!

The compass rose is currently there to indicate a place holder for my key. It's on the hit list when Trawen finally gets desquiggled.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected sirsig's Avatar

Hi Dana, I love the look of your mono map.

Ive been looking for a good Winkel Tripel {WT} outline and ive been comparing yours to others im thinking of using. Other WT seem to have 6 ''graticule boxes" north and south of the equator and yours has quite a few more.

Not nitpicking mind you, just curious why you've gone that way. Different scale? Not a Earth size planet etc.

Anyway really curious about your layout as im planning to rough out my world map on a WT as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sirsig View Post
    Ive been looking for a good Winkel Tripel {WT} outline and ive been comparing yours to others im thinking of using. Other WT seem to have 6 ''graticule boxes" north and south of the equator and yours has quite a few more.

Not nitpicking mind you, just curious why you've gone that way. Different scale? Not a Earth size planet etc.
    It's simply a matter of how you divide up angles. This map uses 10° intervals between parallels, while the other map you looked at used 15° intervals. Size of the planet wouldn't make any difference.