Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: First map!

I like the style. When we talk hand drawn here are we talking a cg hand drawn or a literal sketch and then scanned? V

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Its HAnddrawn and than scanned than put into composition. You can see it easily on the linework, there is a small thicker point at the end of his shading, which indicates a pen with liquid overflow is used on the drawing. I am using a Pilot-G 0.3 mm Gel pen to avoid thoses dots. Soon I wil get a 0.25 Nanotech Pen, the most thin pen with liquid ball tip in the world! I hope i wont break it, must be sensitive.

Schwarzkreuz can you not also create that thicker end linework with a tablet? Don't know just asking. Then what has happened here is that we created a hand drawn stylized mountain symbol, digitized it, created a brush to paint in the correct scale? V

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Its nearly impossible to get those inked feeling from digital only drawings. Those irregularies are what makes such a map vivid and "alive". To mimic that in PS only is beyond my skills. Well but its a queston of taste.

And yes, we do it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    Its nearly impossible to get those inked feeling from digital only drawings. Those irregularies are what makes such a map vivid and "alive". To mimic that in PS only is beyond my skills. Well but its a queston of taste.

And yes, we do it that way.
    I've never been able to master that in Photoshop either. In the Pen department, I use the Pilot Hi-TEC C, although I'm using a 0.4, which probably results in the 'blobbing' at the end of the strokes. I keep destroying the 0.25 Pilots, they break easily, and I press too hard. I cleaned up some of the blobbies in photoshop, but not too many since I feel they add a bit to the 'natural' look I was going for.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Any updates on this? I'm jonesing for some more cool mountains and I can't wait to see what you do with forests...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234