Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 25] - The Witchlight Strand

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    I need a little input, please...

There's an island on the south-central portion of the map. It's not very big, but it's big enough that I just can't ignore, I think. I want to call it The Isle of the Forsaken and put a prison there. Does anyone know anything about prisons in a fantasy setting? Would this even be feasible?
    Well there have been many islands used as prisons... every thing from the Island of Patmos that served as a prison in bible times all the way to mighty Alcatraz Island in modern times. But for what you are looking for you might look into something like the Château d'If here

Islands work so well as prisons so I don't think it will be to hard to come up with several ways to keep the criminal scum there. Two big steps to overcome when making a prison is (one) the type... or who it is for... political prisoners, max security mass murderers, or just those that can not pay their debits. And (two) who guards it... men, beast, elemental, undead or goblins and such....

Other name Ideas:
    Lost Soul Island
    Guard Light Island

I know none of this is direct help, but the power of creation really is in your hands and we can but through out ideas to give you stuff to think about and play with.

-Chris

P.S. I am working on some compass rose ideas but was wondering if you had a theme in mind or wanted something more generic and "normal"? It can reflect the culture of the "map makers from the world" or the main tribe of this area if you have something for me to go on.
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

Quote Originally Posted by rpgmapmaker View Post
    Islands work so well as prisons so I don't think it will be to hard to come up with several ways to keep the criminal scum there. Two big steps to overcome when making a prison is (one) the type... or who it is for... political prisoners, max security mass murderers, or just those that can not pay their debits. And (two) who guards it... men, beast, elemental, undead or goblins and such....

Heh... Undead. The Doors are permanently sealed shut, but a normal human can fairly easily scale the walls and jump down to the outside walls. Perhaps the only way on an off the island is via magical teleportation, in a specific room, and only at a specific time. Heck, you could even make it one way like an episode of Stargate SG-1 where prisoners where thrown through and every day a connection was made an food was dumped. No magical escape is essentially possible since it's a one way portal, and manual escape is risky due to the undead outside the main compound. Of course, with no guards, its a very lawless place...

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Chateau d'If and the Count of Monte Cristo (Edmund Dantes), love that one. Another infamous island prison is Devil's Island down in South America somewhere, there are still some surviving former prisoners living on the mainland after they closed it. As for the lights...the Bermuda Triangle has strange lights as well, not to mention clouds, currents, magnetic anomalies, and sinking ships. The most current theories I've heard about this is that gasses erupt upwards from tectonic movements accounting for the phenomena.

My 2 bits

My daughter and I sat down and started naming things, and this is what we've come up with.

The Elven city of Laradell lies deep within the Liaglades in the northwest, and the Witchlights (the phenomenon) are now coming from the Witchlights (the forest) in the southwest, instead of the bay to the west.

Port Magalie is named after her, and she insists that it be a full marketplace with vendors and peddlers of all sorts and varieties, and so it is. We're currently battling over whether Port Magalie or Glimmergale is the capital. I think that maybe the citizens of each are as well.

We've decided that goblins (et al) and orcs are battling in the Slaughterspikes, which is currently controlled by the orcs. The goblins are coming from the Blackblade Forest below, aptly named for the blackblade goblins from the 4e monster manual.

The Woods just north of the city of Jaston (betcha can't guess who that's named after) are just that.. The Woods; what else would you call them?

The halflings of Callie's Thicket are a peaceful folk, and have a long and bloody history with the goblins of the Blackblades--legend has it that the land was scarred in a battle of epic proportions, and that spirits of the long dead may still wander in that place, The Scar of Fortune.

The font for the labels absolutely has to go because I hate it, but that'll come later. We still have to name the rivers as well

We'd love to hear feedback, and to listen to any ideas you have. Font suggestions would be great, if you have any.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cwbp iso2.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	4824  

Callies Thicket is a wonderful name, Thickets usually being small ( physically small, but not small in the amount of wonder they incite) it fits halflings perfectly, a great visualization. (I tend to picture names in my head, especially when the are so memorable).
    pardon the rambling, I fell asleep on the couch watching fireworks, and awoke there this morning.
    SeerBlue
    Last edited by SeerBlue; 07-04-2008 at 10:04 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    The font for the labels absolutely has to go because I hate it, but that'll come later. We still have to name the rivers as well

We'd love to hear feedback, and to listen to any ideas you have. Font suggestions would be great, if you have any.
    I've used a font called Caribbean on a couple of my WIP maps and had good results.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by rpgmapmaker View Post
    I am working on some compass rose ideas but was wondering if you had a theme in mind or wanted something more generic and "normal"? It can reflect the culture of the "map makers from the world" or the main tribe of this area if you have something for me to go on.
    I don't really have anything specific in mind--I'll leave it up to your artistic abilities.

Post The Witchlight Strand

With the exception of naming a few rivers and putting in some roads, I'm calling this map finished.

Oh, and I plan on putting in a scale too, for the scale police.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cwbp iso2.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	4870  

Hi industry,

I realy like your map, It is simple but effective. I mostly like the color palet you've used, it makes it relaxing for the eye to look at the map.

And your font is easy to read too.

Continue the great work,

Alu.
    Let my fangs find your neck, during the night, so that I can drink your knowledge ...

So it could be use here : www.l-hazard.com

Quote Originally Posted by alucard339 View Post
    Hi industry,

I realy like your map, It is simple but effective. I mostly like the color palet you've used, it makes it relaxing for the eye to look at the map.

And your font is easy to read too.

Continue the great work,

Alu.
    Thanks! I don't think it turned out too badly for my first real effort. Looking forward to the next one now.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast